Has anyone street rodded a 46 hudson coupe??

Unknown
edited November -1 in Street Rods
I would love to see some pictures and ideas to street rod a 46 hudson super six. The plans so far are a 350 sbc with a 4 speed transmission. Thanks JR new guy

Comments

• Is yours a Coupe or Sedan? I don't have any pics but would like to see some. I thought there was a 46 or 47 sedan on eBay awhile back, can't remember though. If I find any on the net, I'll see if I can post them.

Jay
  • MikeWA
    MikeWA Senior Contributor
    Haven't seen one street rodded, but me and the hired man did haul some holstein heifers in the back of a '46 business coupe back in '59, after they escaped to the interstate at 2 A.M., and the State Patrol was demanding their immediate removal (to our credit, the Hudson wasn't our first choice- but the International truck wouldn't start, so we had to go with our best "runner"). We detailed it with a garden hose and a scoop shovel the next morning, but in retrospect, we probably could have been a little more thorough, judging by the lingering aroma. Ah, those were exciting times. . .
  • Rick, I've seen that site before, definately some cool pics! I like the '46 Coupe, blue on a slight rake.....very nice set-up.

Jay
  • nick s
    nick s Senior Contributor
    don't have pictures, but there's a rodded 46 commodore six coupe in the pittsburgh area. has a wideblock (stepdown) 8 and hornet brakes. or is that not quite what you have in mind?
  • jr38special wrote:
    I would love to see some pictures and ideas to street rod a 46 hudson super six. The plans so far are a 350 sbc with a 4 speed transmission. Thanks JR new guy

JR I M in the early stages of building a 46 coupe street rod. I have choped the top 2" suicide the doors, fat man front end and a 9" ford rear end. I am starting on the air ride now. I have a stroked 350-383 now and will use a 700r tran. I plan to widen the rear fenders and pancake the hood 3" . but will need to get further along before doing those two things.I have had problems posting pics on here I think Rick "white triangle trucking "may have posted some early pics.
  • MT46 Hudson wrote:
    JR I M in the early stages of building a 46 coupe street rod. I have choped the top 2" suicide the doors, fat man front end and a 9" ford rear end. I am starting on the air ride now. I have a stroked 350-383 now and will use a 700r tran. I plan to widen the rear fenders and pancake the hood 3" . but will need to get further along before doing those two things.I have had problems posting pics on here I think Rick "white triangle trucking "may have posted some early pics.

Sweeeeeeet man! Rick, did you post any of those pics? I'd love to see them.
  • Hey guys thanks for the great response and picture web site.!! I see everyone pretty much kept the original side trim which I think adds alot of class to the coupe.....keep in touch JR
  • Thanks Rick, I'll be in and out over next few days. Got some severe nerve problems in my hands and feet and typing bothers me (until the meds kick in and they don't last very long) until the docs can figure out what is wrong. Just hoping I didn't wrench my neck again, one spinal surgery is enough! :-)

Jay
  • I have a 46 4 dr sedan I rodded many years ago. Has a 78 Valarie front end torsen bar setup, 86 Iroc rear with column, trans & floor shifter from the Iroc Camaro. rides and drives nice been all over the country with it. its got all chrome done and interior done mostly like original and running DP 90 PPG flat black primer..engine of course is a 350 chev. 0.30 bore with Edelbrock Performer RPM carb intake and cam, finned Edelbrock valve covers...

I like it

Kenny
  • BADHUDSON wrote:
    I have a 46 4 dr sedan I rodded many years ago. Has a 78 Valarie front end torsen bar setup, 86 Iroc rear with column, trans & floor shifter from the Iroc Camaro. rides and drives nice been all over the country with it. its got all chrome done and interior done mostly like original and running DP 90 PPG flat black primer..engine of course is a 350 chev. 0.30 bore with Edelbrock Performer RPM carb intake and cam, finned Edelbrock valve covers...

I like it

Kenny

Any pics to post Kenny?
  • Thanks for the pics Rick, wish I had a rotisserie.
  • faustmb
    faustmb Senior Contributor
    My dream car as a kid was a mildly rodded 46-47 coupe. That was always my favorite body style. I love the factory grill, especially with the amber lights.

There is a guy in the Rochester NY area with a 46 rod. I met him about a year ago and he showed me some pics. It was an older build, but looked pretty good.

Matt
  • jsrail wrote:
    I'm so jealous of you guys who can do a frame-off!

I have been keeping a log of every thing I'm doing so others will have the info on what and how this went togeather. I will post exact parts and locating points. I know others will do it diffrent but but in general it may help. I 'n using 52 ford rear springs and air bags, as of now how many spring I will remove I dont know. Maybe using a 4 link would have been more up to date and easyer I will let you know. The fat man front end went smooth had to split the frame to get it in. I also added gusset"fish plates" inside and out side of the frame just to be sure. Choping the top went very well I had never done this before, the 2" cut below the rear window with 3 pie cuts to contuer top to rear deck seemed to make it easy. My point is just think about it then do it. If it had been my car it may have been restored but it is for my wife and she wanted a swoope Hudson street rod.

Sonny
This discussion has been closed.