New 31 Hudson Owner

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I'm new to Hudsons. I just got a 31 Greater 8 rumbleseat coupe on trade. It is a pretty nice original car. I got it running but have a couple of questions.

Where, besides the data plate, can I find the serial number?

Which of the timing marks should I set static timing with?

How much Hudsonite should I put in the clutch? I have the little bottles, is one bottle the correct amount? What type of wrench do you use to remove the clutch drain/fill plug?

Who has tune up parts?

Thanks for the help

Steve

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    If the '31 is similar to later 30's, Hudsons, you'll find the serial number also stamped on the right frame member approximately where it crosses the front axle, and on the top of the rear axle housing, again toward the right side.

As to the Hudsonite and its filling, I defer to the learned gentleman from New Zealand (see below); apparently my instructions on this point were incorrect.

Dave Kostansek has tune-up parts, he advertises regularly in the WTN.

If you're not yet a member of the Hudson club, you might want to hazard the $20. An outstanding value, when looking for advice or parts. Homepage is http://www.hudsonclub.org/
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Steve.

Drop me an email with your email address. I have some 1931 Hudson tune-up sheets that may be of help to you.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

HUDSONTECH
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Would help if I gave you my email address, I suppose:

pax2728ab@netscape.net

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

HUDSONTECH
  • Sorry to contradict the illustrious sage, but the '31 Hudson has no resemblance to later '30's models. The clutch will need half a pint of fluid to function properly. there are no star markings on the flywheel as in later models, you drain the clutch with the plug at the bottom. The plug is removed with a special tool with a square on the end which fits inside the square, very easy to make one up from a piece of steel shafting, just grind a square on each end, and use a spanner on the outer end. Make it about six inches long. There are two sets of points in the distributor, and the flywheel marks are for setting each set. One mark is t.d.c. 1-8, and the other is t.d.c. 3-6 (I think, from memory). Have fun,

Geoff, N.Z. (Tech. Advisor, N.Z.H.E.T. Club.)
This discussion has been closed.