Pertronix unit for Hudson 8

50C8DAN
50C8DAN Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I posted this over at the Yahoo Hudson8 message board but thought someone here may not see it over there.

I am rebuilding my distributor for my '50 Commodore 8 and was

thinking about putting in a Pertonix module. There is nothing listed for a Hudson 8 (although there are for most of the 6's), however there is a module listing for the Packard 8 (356 cu in job) which used an Autolite

IGT 4203, and the '50 Hudson uses a IGT 4204B-1. I have no idea how

Autolite's part numbers ran but my guess is that the IGT is the body group and the numbers identify the make it was used on or perhaps some physical dimensions. Has anyone tried this swap or knows how the Autolite numbers work? I am pretty sure that the Packard used a 6V positive ground system as did Hudson in those days.

(BTW the distributor number listed on the "http://groups.msn.com/HudsonGeneralSpecifications4manufacturersnumberselectfuelsystem19401949.msnw" is not correct at least for my '50, it lists IGP-4208B-1?)

Thanks

Dan White

Comments

• 50C8DAN
    Well here is a little more information that may indicate the Packard/Hudson distributors are almost the same. They use the same cap and rotor, and the points are: IGP-3028GS (Hudson) and IGP-3028KS (Packard). The points look virtually identical with the exception that the Packard have a raised ridge on the pivot point and the Hudson has a counterbore.

Dan White
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    I don't know anything about the Pertonix system or if this will work in your "8", but I have used a mid-80's Chrysler Slant Six Distributor to convert to electronic ignition in my "6". A reman unit runs less than $100.00 or a junk yard unit is about half that price. If this is of interest to you, let me know and I'll post the conversion instructions. Maybe you can make the Chrysler set up adapt to your engine.
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Dan, it sounds like the distributors are the same for purposes of the Pertronics unit. Regarding ground polarity, the key thing is which polarity the Pertronics unit is made for. Since it's solid state electronics, it likely is polarity sensitive. Check with them.
  • 50C8DAN
    Well I got some potentiall good news today. I talked to Pertronix and the technical guy said that the Packard unit would probably work for the Hudson 8. However, it is one of their modules that need precise alignment and if the mounting holes are not exactly the same it might not trigger. The good news is that they will check it for free, I will send it in tomorrow. If it works they will add it to their list!

Dan
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    50C8DAN wrote:
    I posted this over at the Yahoo Hudson8 message board but thought someone here may not see it over there.

I am rebuilding my distributor for my '50 Commodore 8 and was

thinking about putting in a Pertonix module. There is nothing listed for a Hudson 8 (although there are for most of the 6's), however there is a module listing for the Packard 8 (356 cu in job) which used an Autolite

IGT 4203, and the '50 Hudson uses a IGT 4204B-1. I have no idea how

Autolite's part numbers ran but my guess is that the IGT is the body group and the numbers identify the make it was used on or perhaps some physical dimensions. Has anyone tried this swap or knows how the Autolite numbers work? I am pretty sure that the Packard used a 6V positive ground system as did Hudson in those days.

(BTW the distributor number listed on the "http://groups.msn.com/HudsonGeneralSpecifications4manufacturersnumberselectfuelsystem19401949.msnw" is not correct at least for my '50, it lists IGP-4208B-1?)

Thanks

Dan White

Dan, you are correct on the distributor number on the General Specs web site - it should be IGT-4204A-1, according to the Hudson parts book. Have corrected same on the web site. Thank you for the heads up.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser
    I have just installed a 6V postive ground unit on my 308 stroker and have not had a chance to start it yet. It was very easy to install allthough I did have to drill out the rivits holding a points mounting bracket to the base plate. I took my distributer over to them as they are only 3 blocks away to have them spec the correct unit. At this point I may fire up the beast this weekend and see how it runs. it was an easy modification that took me all of 20 min. to do. That was from removing the dist. to installing it again. With two wires the hook up was easy also and can be made to look stock or very close to it if you do the wireing correctly. I will let you know how it works after I get the beast started of course you have to set the timing again. And yes they have 12 V units that will fit also.
  • Stock 6V positive ground part number is 1362P6 for 12v its 1362. Heard good things about unit for 6V Pos ground heard some bad things about 1362 in converted 12V applications. Stuff about module burning out. Read it on another board, so have to take with a grain of salt. Have the 1362P6 and so far it works like a charm.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    I installed a 1362 unit in a 54 308 a couple months ago. Thats the 12 volt neg ground version. The car is still in the shop getting a major fix up. I have been starting the car at least every other day and it is an "instant" start. I also have had a 6 volt pos ground system in my 1931 Model A Ford for at least three years. Also a much hotter spark and quicker start. I think it increased the gas mileage! That's good news since the Gulf Coast fiasco..

Dave W. Fl
  • They have been a popular thing for Model A's for quite awhile and very dependable
  • 50C8DAN
    I thought I would close the loop on this since I started it several months ago. I contacted Pertronix about the Hudson 8 conversion to electronic ignition and they agreed to look at it. I got a call back after they examined it and the Packard unit that I thought would work and said it would not, but they could make a unit for about $350! Well that is out of my price range. I then sent my unit to Buffalo Machine in CO for a go through and Jim there said he would take a crack at a Pertronix conversion.

After he talked to Pertronix it was confirmed that the reason the Packard unit would not be a drop in is that it rotates the opposite direction from the Hudson distributor and the mounting angle of the points is different. Jim said he would do it for a bit less than Pertornix for a custom unit but ............. it would be a one of a kind and if it went poof and would be stuck without a replacement for any reasonable time. I agreed to let it stay with the orginal setup. Buffalo did a hellofva job on the rebuild and it looks like a brand new unit.

So Pertronix is out for me, but if you have an extra $350 you can give it a go!
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but - aren't we talking about the magnetic pickup type Pertronix?

If that's the case, there is no points angle or rotation issue. The units I've installed were a piece that bolts to the spark plate and a rotor with the magnet. It doesn't care which way it turns, the magnet does the "switching" in any direction it rotates.

The only thing that really matters with the Pertronix is that you have a static reluctor, and a magnetic trigger - end of story. There isn't even an issue with the mechanical advance, because it turns the rotor and not the spark plate.

The only possible hangup would be the Vacuum advance, and where it hooks up to the spark plate on the Hudson relative to the Packard.

My advice is to take a good look at that Packard distributor and see where its spark plate attachments are relative to the Hudson, also the vacuum advance attachment location. You may have to transplant the Packard spark plate into the Hudson distributor for the Pertronix stator unit to "bolt in". In a best case scenario, you will be able to reattach the vacuum advance, in a worst case scenario - you'll have to drill a new hole for the vacuum advance to attach.

If you don't mind modifying your sparkplate, redrill your Hudson spark plate to fit the Pertronix stator. It doesn't matter which way it turns, as long as the the rotor magnet and stator are concentric at all 8 "trip" locations and the rotor/magnet will fit over your points cam well enough for the pickups to align.

I haven't pulled this trick on a Hudson 8 distributor, but I have been party to tractor applications not listed by Pertronix.

Mark
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    I've recently installed a 1362 12V -ve earth unit in a 53 308 and its working well so far. The appealing aspect to me of the Pertronix sytem is that it all fits under the distributor cap. Apart from having 2 wires connecting to the distributor - and who is going to spot that anyway - there is nothing to give it away.

Because you need to drill out rivets during the installation, you are not going to reinstall a set of points in that distributor on the side of the road. If you are worried abut the reliability of the electronics, carry a complete spare distributor with you.

I'm getting way off the original subject here, but shop around. I paid US$105 which may be too much and definitely seems expensive when you see 2 tiny plastic components, but some resellers are quoting US$160
  • 50C8DAN
    The 308 is a completely different distributor than the 8 cylinder job. As for the Pertronix in the 8 cylinder. Apparently, from what Pertronix said and also Buffalo (believe me this guy has done a lot of conversions so he should know what he is doing) the alignment and location of the Pertronix unit is very critical in the 6V systems of this type of distributor. Since I have not done one like this (only on a Studebaker) I decided to just leave it alone. Buffalo said that what he would need to do would prevent going back to points in a pinch. It was a one way street.
This discussion has been closed.