Later Model Upholstery Materials

rambos_ride
rambos_ride Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in Street Rods
I really dig the original verical stipped seats in the 49 Commodore and I know there are a couple of sources for a pretty close match to the original pattern/colors used.

flyer.jpg

But since mine is a custom I want it to have a late model feel to the interior but retain some of the styling queues. I'm thinking greys like the interior of my truck or a better example would be a newer caddy...

RamboSleepingSamp.jpg

See the horizontal stripped material in this picture of my truck - I was thinking this material turned vertical would still be similar to the original but more subtle and a newer type of fabric.

I really like this material since I got the dog it cleans up really well and holds up to his paws and such

Anyways does anyone know of suppliers that provide newer styles of upholtery materials? I'm probably going to tackle everything but my seats and would like to find a supplier..

Thanks

Dan

Comments

• Well, Dan. if it holds up to Rambo's claws, its a good start! I like the grey color, not sure about stripes though. That Hudson brochure looks like a suit I have (only in black)! Personally, I'm not into stripes, but done right I guess it would probably look good. Not sure whether I think horizontal or vertical stripes would be better, dunno.

I'm actually thinking of something in some kind of fake leather. Having a toddler makes Rambo look like Mr. Clean in a car on a trip! I'd like leather, but am not going to have it messed up with applejuice, crackers, chocolate, and what not!

Do you have a body color picked out yet? Though I think a grey tone would go with a lot of colors. Will you paint the dash the same as the body? What about the inside window trim?

Jay
  • Hey Dan, I'm looking at that Hudson pic again. Will yours have that wood trim stuff? Does yours have all that stainless trim on the doors and such? Never noticed the obvious difference to the Pacemaker interior, much less opulate on the Pace.

Jay
  • rambos_ride
    See Inline Answers...

jsrail wrote:
    Well, Dan. if it holds up to Rambo's claws, its a good start! I like the grey color, not sure about stripes though. That Hudson brochure looks like a suit I have (only in black)! Personally, I'm not into stripes, but done right I guess it would probably look good. Not sure whether I think horizontal or vertical stripes would be better, dunno.

I'm actually thinking of something in some kind of fake leather. Having a toddler makes Rambo look like Mr. Clean in a car on a trip! I'd like leather, but am not going to have it messed up with applejuice, crackers, chocolate, and what not!

Do you have a body color picked out yet? [Yes - flat black for the first few years and someday when I think the outside is finally ready then it will be Shiny Black!]

Though I think a grey tone would go with a lot of colors. Will you paint the dash the same as the body? [Nope - I'm going keep most if not all of the woodgrain but will change it to a different style and combinations with fabric,vinyl or leather (pleather anyone? :D ) oh yeah and of course the electronics, and the special custom piece I want to add with your donor dash;) ]

What about the inside window trim? [Now that's a good question. In the commodores they were woodgrained pattern (I think - mine were pretty beat up) - so for now I'm not sure]

Jay
    Hey Dan, I'm looking at that Hudson pic again. Will yours have that wood trim stuff? [See above]

Does yours have all that stainless trim on the doors and such? Never noticed the obvious difference to the Pacemaker interior, much less opulate on the Pace.
    [Yes, mine was the Top-O-The-Line at the time and had all the bells and whistles

My lower interior doors are going to be completely different as I want to turn that recess into a door pocket, use different style or custom arm rest (haven't figured that one out yet) and electric windows and locks of course.]
  • Yeah, I'm going electronic also. Going to use those micro switches for the windows so I can retain the stock cranks, but have elctric windows. I don't want a center console, so I think I'm stuck using an overhead console. I don't want to lose the bench seat, in case my girlfriend's, oops I mean wife (LOL) is in the car! Saw a car that had a flip down panel under the dash for his window switches and such, don't know, but its an idea and I have lots of time. :-(

I was just thinking yesterday, if I could an upholstery guy to build 2 video screens into the backs of the front seat, that would be so cool. And great for the kid on a long trip.

I love the planning stage!
  • rambos_ride
    jsrail wrote:
    Yeah, I'm going electronic also. Going to use those micro switches for the windows so I can retain the stock cranks, but have elctric windows. I don't want a center console, so I think I'm stuck using an overhead console. I don't want to lose the bench seat, in case my girlfriend's, oops I mean wife (LOL) is in the car! Saw a car that had a flip down panel under the dash for his window switches and such, don't know, but its an idea and I have lots of time. :-(

I was just thinking yesterday, if I could an upholstery guy to build 2 video screens into the backs of the front seat, that would be so cool. And great for the kid on a long trip.

I love the planning stage!

I'm not keeping the stock handles or window cranks seems like you're shaving the outside of your car and I'm shaving the inside of my car!

I'd like the power windows to be the original style controls like in the convertibles. I love that Art Deco look!

I'm just not sure who reproduces these switches - but I'm pretty sure someone does...?

If they build a 4-ganger and if they would work with 12v wiring - otherwise it's probably the standard power window switches (Yuk - I want elegance!)

StinkingSwithces.jpg
  • rambos_ride wrote:
    I'm not keeping the stock handles or window cranks seems like you're shaving the outside of your car and I'm shaving the inside of my car!

I'd like the power windows to be the original style controls like in the convertibles. I love that Art Deco look!

I'm just not sure who reproduces these switches - but I'm pretty sure someone does...?

If they build a 4-ganger and if they would work with 12v wiring - otherwise it's probably the standard power window switches (Yuk - I want elegance!)

StinkingSwithces.jpg

For your car Dan, those would be killer! But its only a switch, does it matter 6v or 12v?
  • rambos_ride
    jsrail wrote:
    For your car Dan, those would be killer! But its only a switch, does it matter 6v or 12v?

It's late..I drove 650 miles today and I wasn't thinking - yeah they should work 6/12 just depends on the number of wires to the switch...even then an industious person might be able to make them work!
  • rambos_ride wrote:
    It's late..I drove 650 miles today and I wasn't thinking - yeah they should work 6/12 just depends on the number of wires to the switch...even then an industious person might be able to make them work!

You know, my problem is going to be the a/c switches. I've looked at Vintage Air and the others and I don't really like their switches. I'm not into billet nor the original style knobs and pulls. I don't see anything I like. Maybe I'll just have to put them below the seat or on a flip down plate under the dash. Anything else I can use?
  • rambos_ride wrote:

Should work just fine. I'm probably going electric for the '51 Hornet Convert down the road as it's already been converted with the '55 Olds motor. I'll save all the hydraulics of course if somebody wants to restore it back to original after my caretaking has been done. If I get to it before you do, I'll let you know how it works out!:cool:

Although pricey, check with Bill Albright for convert switches. Seems to me that he's changed a couple over to manual windows from Pacemakers.:D
  • rambos_ride wrote:
    I really dig the original verical stipped seats in the 49 Commodore and I know there are a couple of sources for a pretty close match to the original pattern/colors used.

flyer.jpg

But since mine is a custom I want it to have a late model feel to the interior but retain some of the styling queues. I'm thinking greys like the interior of my truck or a better example would be a newer caddy...

RamboSleepingSamp.jpg

See the horizontal stripped material in this picture of my truck - I was thinking this material turned vertical would still be similar to the original but more subtle and a newer type of fabric.

I really like this material since I got the dog it cleans up really well and holds up to his paws and such

Anyways does anyone know of suppliers that provide newer styles of upholtery materials? I'm probably going to tackle everything but my seats and would like to find a supplier..

Thanks

Dan

Dan, I like the idea of the old style cloth. If I see one more street rod with "tweed" upholstry I think I will puke. I actually like "tweed" but when you see some 4 out of 5 cars at a show with the same upholstry...... aarrrhhhh. Hotrdding is about making you car different! There are thousands of different textures and patterns out there to choose from. The stripes are good. (Just don't go too big, it might look like a jail house.)

Terry
  • I can't help with the old switches, but I can get just about anything custom for your interior like the flip down panels for under the dash, or materials. The best stuff for holding up to wear and tear is the Ultraleather and ultrasuede. I'm an authorized installer & dealer for RodDoors interior products (my part-time job for fun so I don't have to make a living at it so you save lots of money ;-). I have lots of catalogs and will bring them to Hershey for all that might want them since it appears the website may be undergoing an update. Check it out and I will offer a discount on the posted prices on the website or in the catalogs: www.roddoors.com

I plan to do a complete Roddoors interior on my over the winter.
  • rambos_ride
    ndustrl wrote:
    I can't help with the old switches, but I can get just about anything custom for your interior like the flip down panels for under the dash, or materials. The best stuff for holding up to wear and tear is the Ultraleather and ultrasuede. I'm an authorized installer & dealer for RodDoors interior products (my part-time job for fun so I don't have to make a living at it so you save lots of money ;-). I have lots of catalogs and will bring them to Hershey for all that might want them since it appears the website may be undergoing an update. Check it out and I will offer a discount on the posted prices on the website or in the catalogs: www.roddoors.com

I've been to the Rod Doors website many times browsing around. Thanks for the offer on a discount - any bit helps I just need to get the car closer to being done!

Does Rod Doors provide any sponsorships in exhange for parts, materials or a discount on such items?
  • rambos_ride wrote:
    I've been to the Rod Doors website many times browsing around. Thanks for the offer on a discount - any bit helps I just need to get the car closer to being done!

Does Rod Doors provide any sponsorships in exhange for parts, materials or a discount on such items?

Not that I know of, but I will ask. I, as a RodDoors dealer, of course will work with you on deeper discounts in exchange for help/advice/parts with building my Hudson Rod ;-)

I'm good with paint/body/interior, but I'm clueless when it comes to the mechanicals like engine/transmission/rear/suspension and will need lots of help there. I guess the hard part is the distance :-(
  • ndustrl wrote:
    I can't help with the old switches, but I can get just about anything custom for your interior like the flip down panels for under the dash, or materials. The best stuff for holding up to wear and tear is the Ultraleather and ultrasuede. I'm an authorized installer & dealer for RodDoors interior products (my part-time job for fun so I don't have to make a living at it so you save lots of money ;-). I have lots of catalogs and will bring them to Hershey for all that might want them since it appears the website may be undergoing an update. Check it out and I will offer a discount on the posted prices on the website or in the catalogs: www.roddoors.com

Interesting website. Probably be talking with you when I get to that stage. Nice goodies!
This discussion has been closed.