ideas wanted for my 34 coupe

Unknown
edited November -1 in Street Rods
ok i have a 34 coupe with wishbone front suspension not to much left but the main body so decided to hot rod it i have a 350 chevy i will probably mount in there auto trans has no hood or grill yet also missing the trunk hood but looking for ideas on anything i guess would love to see pics of any that ppl know of or can find also what have ppl done with the hole in the roof and grill ideas have alot of work to do will post a pic when i get some time also looking for hood and trunk lid maybe other parts to

plz plz post any ideas parts or anything i mean anything lets make this a good thread

Comments

• _kamel_ wrote:
    ok i have a 34 coupe with wishbone front suspension not to much left but the main body so decided to hot rod it i have a 350 chevy i will probably mount in there auto trans has no hood or grill yet also missing the trunk hood but looking for ideas on anything i guess would love to see pics of any that ppl know of or can find also what have ppl done with the hole in the roof and grill ideas have alot of work to do will post a pic when i get some time also looking for hood and trunk lid maybe other parts to

I've really never been a fan of those soft tops. I would probably just fill it in with steel and be done with it. Rat Rods are fine, not really my style, but to each his own I say. I don't think you have to have running boards, and you could go front fenderless and look good. Posting some pics would help me as I own a '50 step-down and not really familiar with what your year looks like. SBC and auto tranny are a good set-up (don't take any flak from those SBC haters! lol). Can't help you on the parts, but there are lots of folks around here who can. Love suicide doors! Wish I could afford to have them done on my Coupe.

Good luck with your project and keep us updated and pics, we all try to help each other around here!

Jay
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    _kamel_ wrote:

plz plz post any ideas parts or anything i mean anything lets make this a good thread

You should tell us a little more about the goals for your car, rat, show, daily driver, racer...you get the point. Each style of build could have lots of differing ideas.

Budget range is also a consideration for your build if you say you only want to spend 5k-10k on the build the ideas will have to be "simple" ones..but if you're spending 50k-100k all bets are off!

Generally - I like the open roof - but that option is really dependent on where you live and how often you want to drive the car. Personally if you want to change it I'd be thinking of retractable roof opening or at least a retracting sunroof...

If you want to fill it in I have a hot-rod mag around here somewhere where they filled the roof on a 32 Ford Coupe by stealing the roof from an older station wagon and cutting it down to fit the hole. It had 2 or 3 original strengthening ribs (required for the length of the wagon roof and to re-inforce under the luggage rack) that really added a different and unique look to the roof rather than just filling it in with 'flat' sheet metal.

Fatman Fabrications probably has a front end for this thing? You might want to check with Art Morrisons as well.

Inside there's not a ton of room so I'd try to keep it clean and simple. The deck lid and hood couple probably be fabricated easier than trying to find originals.

There - how't that for a start? :)
  • MikeWA
    MikeWA Senior Contributor
    Friend of mine wanted to fill the roof on his Model A coupe- made two templates out of wood lath- one front to back, one side to side, with the crown he wanted for the roof- took them to a junkyard, and found a suitable donor car roof in short order.

As regards the front end- if you want to retain the old skool look, Posies (they advertise in all the street rod mags) has dropped axles, springs, etc. at reasonable prices, compared to Mustang II setups- and I think they look better, especially if you're going fenderless. Check state laws to see if you have to have fenders- Washington now allows fenderless if car will see only occassional pleasure driving in good weather.
  • Unknown
    edited November 2013
    thank you all for posting i havent decided how much i will have to spend but id say somewhere between daily driver and rat rod atleast to begin i was thinking maybe a removable hard top maybe on the roof so it can look like a hard top but also be taken off it has a 40.s merc front end i think right now straight axle and the bars down the side not sure what to call them i also have a ford 9 i think in the rear but none of it is bolted solid yet i think it will look great in the end im thinking high boy look but with easy custom stuff not to spendy just baught a holley 650 dbl pumper last night for it electric choke brand new $162 delivered hope its really new was on ebay looked nice for the price especially and edelbrock performer intake is coming from a friend in a few days :o

btw i do need ideas on grill bad what are your favorites need to start hunting one

p.s. ok pics uploaded but some are kinda dark sorry ask if you want to see pics of anything else i have a set of buckets for it to now ok maybe not someone tell me how to make the photos show i tried uploading
This discussion has been closed.