spare tire?

mrsbojigger
mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Just thinking some "outside" thoughts again. Do we really need that spare tire, tools and jack for our custom rides? It takes up a lot of trunk space. Some of the exotic cars now have only an electric air pump and tire sealer. It works for them. Probably just in case they have AAA that can bring a spare tire and put it on for them.
Would you need special tires for this scenario?
Just a thought, nothing more.
Peace,
Chaz

Comments

• mrsbojigger wrote:
    Just thinking some "outside" thoughts again. Do we really need that spare tire, tools and jack for our custom rides? It takes up a lot of trunk space. Some of the exotic cars now have only an electric air pump and tire sealer. It works for them. Probably just in case they have AAA that can bring a spare tire and put it on for them.
    Would you need special tires for this scenario?
    Just a thought, nothing more.
    Peace,
    Chaz

You know, I was thinking about that the other day. With some of us likely putting a fuel tank or cell in the trunk, we will have limited room. Since I plan on bagging mine, I have to believe there is a way to attach a small air line to the compressor, or am I wrong?

Jay
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    jsrail wrote:
    You know, I was thinking about that the other day. With some of us likely putting a fuel tank or cell in the trunk, we will have limited room. Since I plan on bagging mine, I have to believe there is a way to attach a small air line to the compressor, or am I wrong?

Jay

Since you're bagging your's you will have even less room since you need to have an air storage tank to go with that as well - right?
  • rambos_ride wrote:
    Since you're bagging your's you will have even less room since you need to have an air storage tank to go with that as well - right?

Exactly, though I'm trying to come up with some creative way of storing air. On our off-road trucks we made an air tank out of the bumpers! But I may have to have larger capacity, I don't really know yet.
  • jsrail wrote:
    Exactly, though I'm trying to come up with some creative way of storing air. On our off-road trucks we made an air tank out of the bumpers! But I may have to have larger capacity, I don't really know yet.

Think about using air tanks from semi tractors, they are pretty compact if you need the space. They are as small as a 2 gallon size and up. There should be at least one truck dismantler in the Phoenix area. Just a thought and 2 cents worth.:cool:
  • nick s
    nick s Senior Contributor
    jsrail wrote:

Jay

check out minivan's w/ leveling systems. my wifes montana has an access to the compressor with a port to hook an airhose and an on/off switch. it came with enough hose to reach all four corners. if you are putting your fuel in the trunk, how about putting your spare under the car where the fuel tank was. i would consider one of the winch systems for holding it. you could get one from the same van as the compressor. your spare dosen't need to be full size or on your fancy wheels. i would want something to be able to handle a blowout
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    OK - I know I'm going to get a flat today after this post but here goes...:D

28 years of driving and I have gotten a total of Zero Flat Tires, yes that's 0, goose-egg, nada, zip!

I credit this to several things
    1. Being incredibly lucky
    2. Being incredibly stupid lucky
    3. ALWAYS, ALWAYS keeping good rubber on the road.
    #3 is the key IMHO. :rolleyes:

Once my tires even start to show a hint of wear indicator down the center - usually about 25% tread life left, I buy a new set.

I've never ran a spare on any of my 4x4's and my current trucks spare tire has never seen the light of day in the last 9 years I've owned it...knock on wood!

I will only run a spare on the Hudson if I can come up with a cool mounting system where there orginal gas tank was located - something similar to this would be cool...

fp_stdtire.jpg

fp_accesstire.jpg

http://www.engin.umich.edu/labs/csdl/sparetire.html
  • mrsbojigger
    Quick question!
    What happens if the rear tire has a blowout and you find the car has dropped so low that the spare can't come out from under the car with this unit? Is this a possibility?
    I like your idea of never having a flat in the first place.
    Peace,
    Chaz
  • mrsbojigger wrote:
    Quick question!
    What happens if the rear tire has a blowout and you find the car has dropped so low that the spare can't come out from under the car with this unit? Is this a possibility?
    I like your idea of never having a flat in the first place.
    Peace,
    Chaz

What about one of these? Says it only needs 3" under the car to lift.

TonneAir_Jack.jpg
    I saw this in a 4wd mag as well. Not sure about it running off the exhaust, but an option. I knid of like the small donut spare tire idea, maybe where the fuel tank used to be, they are small and narrower than a regular tire. But I haven't done any measurements either.

Jay
  • Do they make narrow "run flats?" lol

Also, when I was running my 4wd, I carried "plug and plays" whenever I went off road (the little rope like hole plugs). Used them twice when a small branch went through the sidewalls!
  • mrsbojigger
    I think I mentioned this before but my memory sometimes is a day behind. I had to do a lot of reseach when I built my '47 Ford convertible. The spare had to fit between the rear axle hump sheet metal and the tray for the convertible top. It was REALLY tight. I found that I could use a narrower Ford rim with a VW bus tire. Really cool AND skinny but gave me the diameter I needed plus being able to slide into the narrow space.
    Peace,
    Chaz
  • I bought 5 white walls and carry one as a spare, along with fix a flat and plugs. The big problem is changing the flat on the lowered Hudson. If you are a long way from home, its nice to have that matching tire.

Barry
This discussion has been closed.