New Guy Checking In

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Hey gang, I thought I'd introduce myself.

If you saw a thread here for a cheap '37 Terraplane "pickup" for sale on the HAMB forum, I'm the guy that dragged it home. "Pickup" is quoted because it's really a car that was hacked in half to make a stakebed.

Here's the carnage:

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i97/TeamTumbleweeds/Terraplane/

I'm going to attempt to find a donor cab from any make/model truck of a similar vintage so I can make the roofline look right and then reskin the back and do a better job on the back glass.... but if I can't find one I'm going to have to dive in to the world of hand forming curves. :eek:

I was thinking for the bed since I'll probably never find a Hudson bed, I'll find something approximately the right size that I can morph in... and maybe get lucky and score a '47 tailgate to morph in to that. Then for fenders, I dunno... find some Ford or Chevy's that have a the right sweep and make get busy with the Sawzall and Mig. :D

I'm very very new to the Hudson world, so be gentle. LOL

Oh and the grille wasn't technically supposed to come with it, but I might get lucky and get to keep it. I bought a twisted up "backup plan" that's missing some pieces... probably still ought to keep looking, just in case.

Wish me luck... I'm going to need it. :D

Glen

Comments

• Welcome Glen! Its a mellow crowd here, so don't worry. Looks like a starter, you'll have some fun with it. There are guys here with the nohow on these early trucks, but maybe it would be cheaper to find another truck cab you could use. Okay guys, correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't some of these truck cabs the same as the cars from the windshield forward? I think you'll easily find another bed, maybe even a Hudson one. I like the grille on it, ask around here if you don't get that one.

What are your other plans, you're on the hot rod forum, so I assume some mods are in the future?

You might want to join the H.E.T. club. There's always classified ads in their Mag and seems to me a lot of members back east, and parts usually aren't high priced.

So, again welcome and keep us posted on your progress!

Jay
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    boozoo wrote:
    Hey gang, I thought I'd introduce myself.

If you saw a thread here for a cheap '37 Terraplane "pickup" for sale on the HAMB forum, I'm the guy that dragged it home. "Pickup" is quoted because it's really a car that was hacked in half to make a stakebed.

Here's the carnage:
    http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i97/TeamTumbleweeds/Terraplane/

I'm going to attempt to find a donor cab from any make/model truck of a similar vintage so I can make the roofline look right and then reskin the back and do a better job on the back glass.... but if I can't find one I'm going to have to dive in to the world of hand forming curves. :eek:

I was thinking for the bed since I'll probably never find a Hudson bed, I'll find something approximately the right size that I can morph in... and maybe get lucky and score a '47 tailgate to morph in to that. Then for fenders, I dunno... find some Ford or Chevy's that have a the right sweep and make get busy with the Sawzall and Mig. :D

I'm very very new to the Hudson world, so be gentle. LOL

Oh and the grille wasn't technically supposed to come with it, but I might get lucky and get to keep it. I bought a twisted up "backup plan" that's missing some pieces... probably still ought to keep looking, just in case.

Wish me luck... I'm going to need it. :D
    Glen

If the current "cab" is in relatively good shape - I would fabricate some rounded cab corners and redo the back like you talked about. Otherwise a donor cab is your only other option and probably very hard to find.

I say redo it so you can drive it and worry about finding a bed for it later...for the interim I would just make a clean looking flatbed and have it sitting in the dirt like the picture - just on nice tires and rims (and driveable!)
  • mrsbojigger
    mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
    Hi Glen,
    First of all, WELCOME! I'm sure you will find these guys helpful on the forum.
    Your pickup is going to make a great ride.
    Peace,
    Chaz
  • Check's in the mail for HET. :)

Thanks for the encouraging words! Funny, but when I was talking to my dad about the bed, he said the same thing about running a flatbed until I find what I want.... so I'm definitely in the camp of getting it to the point of drivability.

And yes, the oh-so-subtle hint about me posting it here, is it's going to be a street rod.

The frame that's under it is rusted through in several spots, so I'm in all likelihood going to pull it out and slide something newer under it. I'll make a "game time decision" when I get it apart. If I can repair and beef up what's under there, it would be nice to keep it a little more "Hudson" if I can.

I was thinking on the drivetrain side of going with a little oddness in the way of a 350 Buick and an aluminum body T10 I have. Should get decent economy and save a lot of weight. Of course like everything else I'm doing, though, who knows how many times I'll change my mind by the time I get to that point. ;)
This discussion has been closed.