quarter panels

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Can anyone tell me if the rear quarter panels from a '49 Coupe will fit on a '53 Coupe?

silverone

Comments

• silverone wrote:
    Can anyone tell me if the rear quarter panels from a '49 Coupe will fit on a '53 Coupe?

silverone
    The quarter panels from both cars are the same size and physical shape. They mount and attach to the body of the car the same. The difference is in the tail light opening and the mounting holes for the trim. The 53 will have more holes and the tail light mounting for the 53 is significanly different. In other words you can use the panels intechangebly. Care in measuring the 49 panels will lead you to success in changing them to meet the 53 specifications.

Good Luck
    Ken
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    left]
  • Thanks Ken, and EssexAdv.

I suspected they'd be pretty close to the same, if not exact. The outer skin above the wheel well was the piece of particular interest. The reason I was contemplating this possibility is because I have a '53 to restore, and a '49 that I'm trying to decide if I should part out or sell off whole. It dawned on me one day that I may have had some of the body parts I will need right under my nose all along!

Perhaps I'll look for some good '53 panels though, as I probably wouldn't be able to bring myself to wreck that '49 and deprive the world of yet another irreplaceable Hudson anyway.

silverone
  • LI am sure you could trade good 49 quarters which fiit 3 years for the 52/53 quarters that fit only two years of production. dont try using one on the other. the rear bumper cutouts make it highly difficult. IL have tried it. Bill Albright 33 year Hudson restorer
  • Thanks Bill, I shall heed your advice!

silverone
This discussion has been closed.