Disc Brake Conversion

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Has anyone done a front disc brake conversion to a 48-53 stepdown. If so which parts did you use and does any of the auto parts companies offer a conversion kit that you can make fit.

Thanks

Comments

• This swap was done on my 54 Wasp, currently under restoration; I bought disc brake calipers & rotors off a '91 Lincoln Town Car (rear). There was an article in the WTN 1-2 yrs back that gave a part number for the brake lines that will be needed. The Hudson hubs were turned slightly in a machine shop so the stock rotors will fit/slide over them. Both calipers were fitted on the rear-side of the axles. Good luck
  • Charlie Wallace of the Southwest Borders chapter, San Diego area is installing Disc brake setups for several cal members. cost about 1000 to 1200 out the door. He is in the roster. good luck, Bill Albright 33 year HET member
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    The article was in Walt's Garage in the WTN. Walt Mordenti should be able to give you the part numbers or the month and year that his article appeared. He is listed in the Roster.
  • 51hornetA wrote:
    Has anyone done a front disc brake conversion to a 48-53 stepdown. If so which parts did you use and does any of the auto parts companies offer a conversion kit that you can make fit.

Thanks
    color]

For the front brakes on Hudson Stepdowns:

Contact Bill Labud, 38049 Rolling Acres Rd., Lady Lake, FL 32159 Ph: 352-753-7229. He has it perfected! Uses stock Hudson Master Cylinder, Easily reversible back to drum brakes

For information on how to use the Linclon Disc brake rear in a Stepdown go to this URL.

http://home.earthlink.net/~hetclub/disc/brakes.htm

Good Luck
    Happy Holidays
  • Thanks for all the tips folks. Gives me a lot to research. I want to stay with drums on the rear and discs up front.
  • I put the "LaBuds" conversion on my '48 Super Six back in 2000. At the time, it was just under $500. Now, it's around $650, but worth every penny in my book. It's easy to convert to disc, and would be easy to put back to original. I've since put thousands of trouble-free miles on the car, and have never had a "stopping" problem. If you would like pictures of......the kit, and after the installation, e-mail me at wkitchen@midsouth.rr.com
This discussion has been closed.