Rear suspension - ride height

Unknown
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Jay and Dan, something for you to think about. Irregardless of what suspension you choose for the rear, you have some limitations with the frame bottoming out on the rubber bumpers. Unless you notch the frame above the rubber bumpers to give you more downward travel space, you will only have about 2 to 3 inches of downward travel with the car on 2' lowering blocks, showing about 3' of wheel, this means that you must have pretty stiff springs that do not travel down more than the limited 2 to 3 inch allowed distance. If you use bags, you can lower the car when parked, but will possibly have it pretty high when driving to get enough air pressure to keep it off of the bumpers.

I have Poises rear springs and they are sending me additional spring leafs to stiffen the springs, mainly a long second leaf. I hope this lessens the bottoming out and allows me to keep my ride height.

Jay, since you will have the frame exposed if you ever wish to make that change, now is the time.

Don't you just love it when some one tries to point out potential problems that you were not aware of, as if you didn't have enough already.

Dan, about the pictures, I have the gear, just not smart enough to manage. I will have to get my buddy to help me. May send them to one of you guys for posting. Barry

Comments

• rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Thanks Barry

If you can send me the pictures via email I can post them

dan@ypfs.com
  • faustmb
    faustmb Senior Contributor
    I dropped my stock car 2" in the back, I definately wouldn't want to go any lower. As it is I have to take it real easy going in and out of some parking lots. Stiffer springs probably would help a great deal.

Matt
  • Barry, I've been thinking of this issue for awhile now. I wondered looking under the rear, how much movement space I had before hitting the bumpstops.......guess you've answered that. Gee thanks! lol

I'm really going to have look over that frame sitch. Not sure yet what kind of extra hassles thats going to be. I need to get under the car for a closer look.

Thanks for the info,

Jay
This discussion has been closed.