Need info on 1948 Hudson Commodores...

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hi,

I am new to Hudsons and just bought an original 1948 Hudson Commodore 4 dr sedan (6 cylinder) from the estate of the original owner.... I haven't received the car yet but here are my questions:

How do I know if it has the optional overdrive?

What were the trim options for this car? ie: what constitutes a brougham model?

What were the options available for the 1948 Commodore?

That's it for now. I'm planning on joining the Hudson club so I'm looking forward to learning everything about this great car. Thanks for your help! Regards, Niels

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    If it has overdrive you will have a round chrome knob under the dash and to the left (I think) of the steering column. It usually has a couple concentric circles embossed in it.

The Commodore was the top of the line Hudson, the Super Six had the lesser trim level. The 'brougham' was a 2-door sedan; that is, it had the same body as the 4-door (semi-fastback) but only two doors.

I don't have a clue as to all the options available but some would have been radio, heater, overdrive, Super-Matic or Drive-Master (various combo's of semi-automatic clutch and shifter), under-dash tissue holder, high-compression cylinder head, tire pump, spotlight, fog lights, exterior metal visor, and a raft of other items both important and inconsequential.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Niels, Welcome to the Commadore Class.

Jon's a good friend and has a 37 Terraplane Convertable.

The OD lockout is on the right. The OD unit itself is an 8 inch extension of the transmission.

If it has the automatic clutch/shift options they are 1 or 2 electromechanical monstrosities bolted to the driver's side of the motor. The first dash knob to the right of the wheel would be the off/on switch.

The Commadore had the following that the Super Six did not. Triangle on a slimmer hood ornament, Chrome spears on the fender tops, The larger tail lights, the larger HUDSON emblem in the middle of the trunk, the large horizontal chrome trunk lift/lock,

The stainless strips on the rocker panels are wider. Horizontal chrome bars above and below the liscence plate between the inner front bumper guards.

Inside, the steering column is chrome as is the trim on the 'glove box' doors. It will probably have the direction light switch attached to the column. The steering wheel is probably cream color, and has a plastic center bar and a chrome horn ring.

Woodgrain metal at the tops of the doors, etc. Upgraded door panels, rear interior lights, a center fold-down arm rest in the rear seat, a a few other little amenities.

Don't know that I've seen a Commadore without the radio or center antenna.

When you join the club, you will get a roster of other owners near you and information on the local club which will probably have other Commadore owners in it. Good luck.
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    "Brougham" in stepdownese, usually means a 2 door sedan, unlike the coupe, it has a full sized rear seat. The commodore is basically the up-grade car. It has more trim and a nicer interior than does the "Super" models. Options included, Radio, Heater, Wide White Wall Tires, Over-Drive, Vac-u-motive Clutch, drive-master) Curb Feelers, and Aluminum Head (increased compression) , rear windshield blinds, rear windshield wiper, gas tank door guard, exhaust tip, spot lamp, back-up lamp, fog lamps, and a windshield visor

The commodore came standard with a deluxe steering wheel, fender top ornaments, wide rocker stainless molding, automatic door lamps, wind out front wind vents, chrome dash knobs and drivers side glove box.

"Brougham" in stepdownese, usually means a 2 door sedan, unlike the coupe, it has a full sized rear seat. The commodore is basically the up-grade car. It has more trim and a nicer interior than does the "Super" models. Options included, Radio, Heater, Wide White Wall Tires, Over-Drive, Vac-u-motive Clutch, drive-master) Curb Feelers, and Aluminum Head (increased compression) , rear windshield blinds, rear windshield wiper, gas tank door guard, exhaust tip, spot lamp, back-up lamp, fog lamps, and a windshield visor

The commodore came standard with a deluxe steering wheel, fender top ornaments, wide rocker stainless molding, automatic door lamps, wind out front wind vents, chrome dash knobs and drivers side glove box.

You can also check out the Hudson Club Website. www.hudsonclub.org there you will find a link to our email page. On this page you can search by year of car. You will find a list of 48 owners.

Also, 48 and 49's are almost the same. The only differences being the horn ring, the shifter knob shape and the finish on the dashboard. Knowing this, you can usually converse with 49 owners to gather information.

Also, if you need an owners manual, I have some for sale

I can also give you leads on other information. Check out my web page http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/cbc-het/tree.html

Lew
  • Thanks to everyone for the info. I'm waiting for delivery so I haven't been able to climb around the car and see what it has. I do know that it has the vacumotive / auto clutch feature. It also has rear window blinds, dual spot lamps, foglights, deluxe center bumper guards both front and rear, visor, and there is a stainless piece that curves up from the bottom rear of the rocker panels up towards the front wheel. Don't know if this was an option or not. I tend to think is was. I've seen this piece on a convertible somewhere on a website. Not sure if it has the overdive. From a picture I have, there is chrome switch (left / right movement?) just under or to the right of the steering column. There is also an ivory colored knob mount to the right of that that appears to be a pull type mechanism. I know I'll be able to figure out all these things after the car arrives... I am just curious. Thanks again for all the info.! Niels
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Neils

If you would like to have them I have Mechanical and Specification sheets for your 1948 Hudson - send me your email address and I'll send the pages to you.

In addition you can find other tech info on my web sites:

http://groups.msn.com/HudsonMechanicalSpecifictions

http://groups.msn.com/HudsonTechnicalInformation/_whatsnew.msnw

http://groups.msn.com/HudsonGeneralSpecifications/

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

pax2728ab@netscape.net
This discussion has been closed.