Wind noise in car

Unknown
edited November -1 in Street Rods
I have new rubber seals from K-Gap around the doors,but I still have a lot of wind noise in my 48 Coupe. The doors are hung and adjusted properly. This Hudson is only one I have ever ridden in, how much wind noise coming around the doors is normal. What can I do to improve this problem?

Barry

Comments

• rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    barry wrote:
    I have new rubber seals from K-Gap around the doors,but I still have a lot of wind noise in my 48 Coupe. The doors are hung and adjusted properly. This Hudson is only one I have ever ridden in, how much wind noise coming around the doors is normal. What can I do to improve this problem?
    Barry

One old bodyshop trick I use to make sure the seal is tight enough is to take a good ol' piece of college notebook paper and shut the door (trunk lid, etc.) so that the paper sticks out.

If you can pull it out easily - the seal is not tight. If it stays snug but you can still pull it out you're right in the ballpark. If it tight and the paper tears trying to pull it out theres probably a little too much pressure on the seal.

More often than not with any older car when you align the doors to meet quarters and fenders or to shut easily the seals will not seal correctly. There are several factors that cause this...

Accidents: If the car has been hit at any point these alignments can be off.

Rust: This is usually the killer. The problem stems from rust getting in the outer pinch welds of the door/quarter/fender skins right at the edges. Which makes them bulge out. This is why you see many cars where the fender/quarter/door meeting points tend to look like this (if viewed from the top - I've exaggerated it a little in the picture)
    door1.bmp

This is also why you see many, many builders, hobbiests pour the bondo on like they're building a new car ala Boyd C. (see picture below the 'bondo' is in red...)
    "Give me a frame and tell me what kind of car you want"

Most to try and "flatten" or match the panels for alignment end to end but what ends up happening is that the lines of the car get distorted and blurred with alll the material build up it ruins the look IMHO
    door2.bmp
    Do you have a plastic/other barrier between the inner door skin and the door panel? If the barrier is missing (did they install one originally?) you'll get a ton more road noise.

Do you have the seals in the front fender to cowl section?
  • Thanks Dan, I will check it out.

Barry
  • I have the same problem, but it isn't quite as noticeable with the stereo cranked up!

Seriously, I am paying attention here because I will be installing new seals soon.

Dan, thanks for the info from all of us.

Terry
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    52 kahuna wrote:
    I have the same problem, but it isn't quite as noticeable with the stereo cranked up!

Seriously, I am paying attention here because I will be installing new seals soon.

Dan, thanks for the info from all of us.

Terry

You're welcome!

I just looked through my Hudson Body Manual and the doors did have an inner liner between the inner door skin and upholstery which helped seal the door panel from moisture and greatly reduced road noise (all cars have these...or should!)

Some thick plastic sheeting would work - I'm sure there is some aftermarket door liner stuff out there as well.

Remember it's not uncommon to adjust a door and have it fit cosmetically for looks and for functionality (open and closing) and still not seal properly because of the issues I raised above.
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    Two places to look for wind noise, if not replaced; vent window rubber, dogleg on bend of door.
  • also check there is not tears in the door windlace along with what rambo has sugessted. if you have to much space, paper slides out easy, adjust the fenders at the door in, adjust the hings in, and the stricker in. you'll have to do the back door if its a 4 door.. ....
This discussion has been closed.