Glare-proof Hudson rear-view mirror

super-six
super-six Expert Adviser
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Has anyone had any success in getting glare-proof rear-view mirrors re-silvered reasonably priced? Mine needs replaced but it seems all of the mirror establishments that I have called cannot duplicate the angle-cut glass as in the original. A conventional mirror to fit would be around $10. I've checked Hemmings and the best price I have seen for re-silvering is around $34 shipping included. I don't know if it's worth the difference. I like the frame of the mirror because it's chrome whereas the standard mirror is painted. Thanks.

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I had the rear-view mirror on my '37 re-silvered in Baltimore, at a place that charged me $8 plus postage. That was a year ago; the price may have increased. However, they were at pains to emphasize that the silvering is of the conventional type. Apparently many of the earlier auto mirrors were silvered in a greyed-out type of mirroring that reduced the brightness of headlights (this was in the pre- glareproof days) and this particular company does not do that type of silvering. Just what you'd find on any household mirror. I can give you the company name and address if you like but otherwise, $34 doesn't sound like a bad price. I had been quoted as much as $50 by one company, and that was if I dropped the mirror off!
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    And if you'd have dropped the mirror off it might have broken and wouldn't have been any good at all.
This discussion has been closed.