Along with " Do you drive your Hudson? "

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Greetings form Colorado!

As I read the responses to the "Do you drive your Hudson? " . I came up with the question: Since you folks are driving your Hudsons on a regular basis and for extended trips, what changes have you made to increase comfort and driveability?

The 1951 Hornet that I am working on is just coming back from sitting for 33 years. The car is running now and I have rebuilt the brake systems. The fuel tank is out being cleaned/tested/sealed and the fuel pump is off and awaiting re-build. Of course it needs new upholstery/body work and paint. I am replacing the wiring complete. As I plan to tow a teardrop trailer that charges from the tow vehicle, I will be updating to 12 volt. Alternator or generator undecided at this point. I also plan to split the exhaust manifold and run dual Flowmasters for a mellow sound.

My goal is not to restore the car to "showroom" condition, but to build a car that is safe, dependable and fun! As to taking an hour to "fill the tank", this happens when I tow my teardrop trailer. What reaction will I get when I hook it behind the Hornet?! Information/photos of my teardrop trailer can be found at http://pages.prodigy.net/rfs2growup/lost teardrop.html . I think that the teardrop and the Hornet will make a dynamite duo...

George T

Comments

• Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    George, you'll have an eye-catching rig with the Hornet and that trailer. When you do the electrical update, consider using an alternator vs. generator. They're more trouble-free. And instead of a so-called "one wire" type, use a standard Delco 10-SI series unit, originally found on 68-78 small block Chevy models. This alternator is probably the most easily found anywhere, thus if you do have any problems, it's no problem finding a replacement. I've worked up an info sheet on 12v conversion, which can save you a lot of research. I'll e-mail it to you. Finally, I recommend installing A/C while you're updating ... you'll get a lot more use out of the car in hot weather, and your wife will be much more agreeable to going with you!
  • LanceB
    LanceB Senior Contributor
    I agree with Park, I have always loved tear drop trailers and yours looks great. It look great being pulled by your Hudson. Also I was considering updating to a 12V system in my '46 pickup. If I could also get a copy of what you have put together Park I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, Lance (HETlbaroldi@hotmail.com) (remove the HET)
  • Good for you George! Hudsons are meant to be driven and enjoyed. Far too many are restored to the point the owners feel obligated to keep them under wraps denying themselves the pure pleasure of arm wrestling THE BEAST back and forth as the center point trys to compensate for road surface... all the jaw boning aside... I too am converting my 53 so it is ROAD WORTHY... adding a 6 Volt single wire alternator, checking and rebuilding what needs attention. I will also add a 6VDC positive ground electronic module to my distributor upon reciept.

The picture below is one of my parents car near Lake George NY. My mom appears near a cabin they stayed the evening before. Note the TEAR DROP Dad built from 1947 Popular Mechanics plans. Picture is cira 1951.

Hope to see you on the open road in 2005.

Camping1952.gif
  • I agree, a teardrop trailer would be "icing on the cake", behind a Hudson. As far as changes I've made...I gutted everything from the radiator, to the tailpipe with Brand "X" stuff, but I still kept the "original" look. I'm not going for the "Showroom" look, because that's too much work to keep if you're REALLY gonna drive it. I'm wanting to put it in "Lasting" condition. I've stripped the entire underside, and put enough undercoating underneath to be classified as a "suit of armour". If it's raining, or if I have to drive down a gravel road in the rain.........here we go! It's nothing a bucket of soapy water, a hose,and a little time won't heal!
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    I agree 100% with Park; go with an alternator. Also consider converting to electronic ignition. A set of radial tires and gas shocks will improve the ride and driveability greatly. I would suggest that, if you have not already done so, go through the drivetrain checking the motor and transmission mounts, centerpoint, u-joints, carrier bearing and pinion seal. Changing the differential oil is also not a bad idea.
  • dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    As to restoring them so well, owners have to keep them under wraps, That is SOME owners. Ken Schulte and I both have cars that we restored and both won National First Place at the AACA Grand National. We drive them everywhere we go. If it is raining, dry it off when you get there. If you give car thorough cleaning after you drive it, it is no problem to keep it pristine.
  • i HAVE BEEN DRIVING HUDSONS FOR 33 YEARS AND DROVE MY 51 HORNET CONVERTIBLE TO THE IOWA NATIONALS IN 84 AND TOWED A TEARDROP TO THERE AND BACK TO SO CAL. A GREAT EXPERIENCE EVEN THO I USED TO HAUL A TON OF HUDSON PARTS AND NOT TO SLEEP IN. ALL THE TIPS YOU REC ARE GREAT. I UUALLY GO TO THE GM ALTERNATOR AND CHANGE OVER TO 12 VOLTS BETTER FOR YOUR AIR COND, C B RADIO AND OTHER MUSIC APPARATUS. GOOD LUCK, BILL ALBRIGHT, SO CAL
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    I must be the oddball here. I converted to 12 volt/alternator setup but used a single wire Nissan alternator. Haven't had any problems yet even though my "Nissan" is manfactured in Mexaco. Sort of gives the car an "International Feel", so to speak. When the single wire plays out maybe I'll go to the 2 wire GM as that seems to be the standard.
  • Changing tack slightly from the "chrome era" cars, which here in N.Z. require no modification to be able to use for everyday transport, I have done the following to my 1928 Essex Coach: changed the rear end to an Essex Four cyl unit which is 4-2/3:1 (as against 5.6:1 originally). Changed the cam profiles to Terraplane, with later slipper type cam followers, and fitted wedge-top pistons. This gives about 20% more power, to cope with the higher geared back-end. Fitted a two-brush Auto-lite generator and regulator from a 1942 Dodge, and a headlamp relay. For safety reason, fitted direction indicators, and shock absorbers all round ( telescopics on the rear and levers on the front.) Converted the back of the exhaust manifold to a two-bolt flange instead of the original threaded coupling. I have made these mods at different stages over the last 48 years, and the car still looks "original" from the outside, and the modifications are all simple 'bolt-on". I call it "Grandpa's axe", because it's had the equivalent of two heads and four handles. Happy New Year to all,

Geoff.
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    I have been driving 1954 Hornets as a 49 Super on long trips for more than 25 years. I make no modifications and have no problems. 54 is a Hydromatic car and the 49 is a OD car. Drive them at 70 mph everywher the road will allow. I do make sure they have good tires and shocks as well a insure the rest of the mechanicals are in proper order. I have never had to drag one of them home. So, my thoughts are if you properly restore them you will have a good car for the road.
This discussion has been closed.