A/C Compressor Mounting

hudsonguy
hudsonguy Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
When I install A/C in my '49 Super this winter, I'm considering mounting the compressor on the driver's side of the engine (above or below alternator).

Does anyone out there have any suggestions/advice? Would anyone have any pictures of this type of installation?

Thanks for the help,

Hudsonly, Doug

Comments

• alwalys better to mount compressor above alternator. hoses can be shorter, less expensife and easier to service
  • would suggest passenger side, try to find a mounting bracket off of a rx7

mazda this will make your job much easier if you are using a sanden comp.

it is designed with belt adjustment built in , also pass. side makes routing of hoses easier.
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Passenger side is awfully busy already, and has the added disadvantage of heat from the manifolds and exhaust pipe. The left side is much cleaner, even though you typically have to cross the refrigerant hoses over to the right side at the firewall or inside the passenger compartment. E-mail me at hetpwald@mindspring.com (remove the het first) and I'll send you some pic's of the recent installation on my '51. I used a compressor mount plate from Clay Hannah, in OK City ... it made the job pretty easy.
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    Contact Joe Stinnette. He has repro brackets. Failing that, give Nolen Renner a call. He made up a real nice bracket for his 54. Also, Duke Marley made up a mpunt for the drives side of his 48/9 8 cyl
  • hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    Thanks to all of the great advice I've gotten on this so far, I think I've got a plan. I'm leaning toward making my own bracket(s) at this point.

I was planning on bending up a plate of 3/16" (or 1/4") steel that would span vertically between the two head bolts adjacent to the thermostat housing, and the two bolts that hold the alternator (generator) to the side of the block. I'm going to put the compressor on top, leave the alternator where it is (actually it will simply move out one plate thickness) and drive all of this with a single 3/4" belt. That way the water pump and crank pulleys are unchanged, and it gets all of this A/C stuff away from the manifold heat, fuel pump, etc. I'm planning on routing the flexible lines to the evaporator (with driver's side fittings) through the firewall/floorboard junction (above the pedals).

At least that's the plan...
This discussion has been closed.