Hornet temp gauge help

Hello, i suspect that my gauge is not fully working. Upon testing it, the needle only moves to btwn the lower two dots. Before I launch into the arduous task of removing the gauge, i would like to use a temporary mechanical gauge, so that when I install my reworked motor I can monitor the temp.
Might anyone be able to recommend a gauge with the correct threads for a 308? Thank you!

Comments

• you will have some problems with finding a mechanical bulb that will actually fit into the  temp sensor hole in the head. Good luck with your search on a mechanical temp sensor. Maybe you could use an aftermarket temp sensor and gauge to get you by for the time. If you have the time, see if you can either have that gauge rebuilt or replaced.
  • GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    I got one of those cheap 3-gauge sets from the parts store, the temp sender had a set of npt adapters for the temperature bulb. No issue fitting it in my head. '52 308 w/ 1/4 npt thread on the head. Worked alright.
  • devin
    devin Member
    With  a new sending unit provide by Lance, my gauge appears to be tired. Need some advice re: removal. Can the entire gauge cluster be detached and tilted forward in order to access/replace the temp gauge? Thank you
  • What year/model are you working on?
  • devin
    devin Member
    '52 Twin H Hornet
  • Ken the visual of one getting his head stuck between the two pedals has me rolling on the floor, of course I’m sure it wasn’t funny at the time when you, er, your friend that you knew did that. Lmao
  • devin
    devin Member
    thank you once again Ken for your clear and encouraging directions. I now have my work cut out for myself.