Cowlboard tack strips

Working on the upholstery of my 1923 Hudson and finding several different widths of cowlboard tack strips.  1 inch 2inch etc. Does anyone know a source for these or do I have to make them myself.  I have the board and can cut it to size and then
I guess I just drive my tacks through it.  My guess is 100 years ago that is what they did.  Any help on this?
Robert

Comments

• Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    I made mine from the same fibreboard I used for backing the interior door panels.
  • Maybe the 1926 - 1931 Fisher Body Service Manual - Closed Body Models has some useful information; it has dozens of pages on upholstery.
  • rhurst
    rhurst Member
    Thanks but this is a Bidel & Smart aluminum body. I think the fisher body was steel and made by Hudson.  A very different animal.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Fisher bodies were  predominately General Motors, never used by Hudson.   Hudson built their own bodies for standard models, and used both Biddle & Smart and Briggs for non-standard.  Other body builders   were used occasionally for one-off prototypes, etc.  e.g. Murphy, Anderson and others.  Fisher bodies still had wood frames in 1936!  Biddle & Smart went  out of existence during the depression of early thirties.   As far as I know there are no parts manuals or instructions for any of their products. .