Raising the front seat

Hi everybody!  I have an issue with the front seat height in my '51 Pacemaker.  The seat and mounting hardware all appear to be stock but the seat seems to sit very low in the car.  I'm about 6 feet tall but when I'm driving my Hudson I feel like a little old lady who can barely see over the top of the steering wheel.  The simple solution would be to find a booster cushion, but I was thinking about trying to raise the seat...a couple of inches would probably do it. 

Has anybody else had this problem and how did you solve it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    How about a section of two-inch steel square channel to use as a spacer between the floor and the  seat?
  • Hi guys!  Thanks for your info and pictures!  Just wanted to let you know what I decided to do.

Ken, all the hardware and spacers were intact as shown in your pictures.  I assume this was the way it came from the factory.  I left the spacers in their original locations, and inserted a 2 X 6 board between the spacers and the track.  I was able to find some longer bolts, but they are grade 5 not grade 8.  

I'm waiting for some paint to dry so I haven't reinstalled the seat yet.  This setup will give me a boost of about 1-1/2 inches, which isn't much but I hope it will make a difference.

By the way, I'm not "torso impaired" like the guy in your picture.  If anything, I've always felt that my torso is a little too long for a person of my height, but I'm OK with that.  Now if I could just get motivated to do something about the diameter of my torso...