Factory Seat Covers: Keep 'em or Leave 'em

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I just purchased a 1948 Commodore 6 with the factory seat covers. The drivers seat area of the cover is in need of some repair from the 57 some years of entering and exiting the vehicle. The rest of the covers look excellent.

Is there a collectability / value incentive for keeping the covers on or display and enjoy the as new gray cloth interior? Thanks, Niels

Comments

• PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    I would say tear them off and go with the orignal seats if there nice looking

I know no one who collects old seat covers
  • li WOULD SAY LEAVE THEM ON. THEY HAVE DONE A GOOD JOB SO FAR, LET THEM ALONE. THE MINUTE YOU TAKE THEM OFF SOME ONE WILL SPILL A DRINK OR GET IN WITH A SCREWDRLIVER ILN LTLHEIR POCKETS AND TEAR UP. THE ORIG FABRIC BILL ALBRIGHT LETS HEAR FROM OTHER MEMBERS, I AM OLD FASHIONED LOL
  • If this were my car, I would remove the covers & enjoy the original fabric. 48 & 49 Commodores are my favorite upholstery materials anyhow. The only exception might be if the covers were the clear (see through) ones. Cliff Minard.
  • I have a 56 non Hudson (DeSoto) which had clear covers over the original pink fabric and white leather upholstery. I removed the slightly worn and discolored covers several (20?) years ago. I now wish I hadn't. Although the covers obscurred the beauty a bit, they also preserved it. Since this car is a driver, not a show car, I have turned the once perfect seats, into tired looking used seats. Still OK, but no longer perfect.

Happy New Year

Steve
  • Keep 'em on...nothing beats the original Hudson upholstery for comforatbleness (real word?). If your original upholster is not dry rotted the covers did their job well.
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    I would say to be carefull., I have bought more than one car where the previous owner had removed the seat covers. When the covers were removed the material was coated with dust or had desinigrated to the point that htey looked ral good but could not tke the use. One set of seats I bought had real nice covers on them. The had a loose weave material on the top 1/4. When I removed the covers, they had actually faded in the area of the loose mesh and not in the area which had been covered with regular material. Also there is also a chance of insect infestation. So be carefull, the seats might not be as good as you suspect
  • Thanks to all for their input. When I receive the vehicle I'll check it out further. I think I am inclined to go with removal. If the interior is anything like the rest of the car it should be well taken care of. I plan to enjoy the car and pamper it. I'll beat my kids if they put their feet on the back of the seats!
This discussion has been closed.