Delivery of our Hudson Town Sedan

Yesterday Cathy and I took delivery of our 1929 Hudson Town Sedan, which we purchased a couple of weeks ago in Raymond, WA.

Pictures of the delivery are posted at http://homepage.mac.com/lewphelps/PhotoAlbum.html.

The paint is a modern color that closely approximates the original Reseda Green that was on the car. As it came from the factory, it was all green; the prior owner chose to paint the fenders black, which we like and probably will keep as a color scheme. The interior has been completely re-upholstered by a car restoration firm in the Seattle area, with all the detailing closely matching the original. The fabric is a blue-grey velour, very handsome, and a lot more durable than the original mohair.

We have a ton of additional parts for this car, including an extra engine block (and most of the associated parts), a transmission (complete with the shifter bell), an extra set of hubcaps, and goodness knows what else. I haven't even come close to being able to do an inventory. I'll probably need some help even identifying some items.

The car needs some work:

* As I've previously posted, the carburetor has problems.

* The running boards are badly rusted, probably beyond repair. Does anyone have a spare set available for sale? I'm going to jury-rig some boards with plywood for the short haul.

* Some painting and body work remains to be done, although what's been completed is superb, show-car quality. The visor, hood, and gas tank are primed but not painted.

* The roof fabric must be nailed down after I get the paint buffed out on the top of the car.

* The seat adjusting mechanism is broken.

* Many chromed fittings, inside and out, must be put back in place.

* I need to improve the electrical path for the battery. Even with a brand new Optima battery, it cranks very slowly. I suspect there's a high-resistance return path through the frame, and intend to run a new 2/0 cable directly from the negative terminal of the battery to the ground side of the generator. I'll probably replace the positive side cable at the same time, using 2/0 welding cable, which is flexible enough to route easily.

* The valve covers are badly rusted; replacements are in order. I may make these.

* Headlights need to be reinstalled, after I paint the brackets.

etc.

But, wow! What a thrill to have this car! Cathy and I are really pumped up. We hope to have it in driving shape very soon.
This discussion has been closed.