Hudson Brakes

Uncle Josh
Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Saw some confusion on Hudson brakes on the chat room.

In general, most of the 6 cyl stuff back to at least 36 and thru 47 used 10 in dia x 1 3/4 wide shoes.

The early ones used cams on the secondaries but I drilled a hole in a later shoe using the original as a guide and it works great. Auto Zone and Advance Auto stocks them.

Most of the 8 cyl stuff including the trucks, used the 11 in dia x 1 3/4 wide shoes.

Stepdowns used the 11 in dia x 1 3/4 wide shoes on the rear. Pacemakers used them on the front. The others used the 11 in dia x 2 1/4 on the front.

The wider stepdown front drums and shoes can be used on the earlier ones if you take the backing plates with them.

Thus endeth my knowledge and experience.

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    So, if someone wants to replace all four of his late-30's brakes with 11' diameter drums, has one only to obtain 11' front and rear drums from a Step-Down (1948-54) and they will transplant to a 1936-41? Would the four backing plates from the Step-Down also be transplanted to the earlier Hudson? Of course, 11' shoes will be necessary, but is that it? Will front and rear bearings on a 1936, work on a 1954? Can the existing brake cylinders on the pre-War be re-mounted to the Step-Down backing plates, or is it advisable to use Step-Down cylinders as well? Can the 1936-41 wheels bolt right up to the Step-Down drums?
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    The backing plates must go with the drums when you change diameter or cross the 47/48 line. Of course, you take the shoes with the drums.

Take the front bearings with the drums. They will fit the other spindles.

The rear bearings are moot as the drums go on the tapered axle.

The brake cylinders are sized to the shoe size. I know the stepdown 1 3/4 shoes take a 1 in bore cylinder and the 2 1/4 shoes take a 1 1/8 cylinder. I believe everything 47 and before uses the 1 in bore cylinder and will interchange, but check your part lists.

All the late 30s 40s and 50s Hudson wheels I've seen prior to HASH, will interchange as the bolt circle is the same and they have the alignment holes. Many Mopar wheels have the same bolt circle and an alignment hole as well.

If one wants to put a 16 in wheel on a stepdown or truck and use radials, it's recommended that aftermarket wheels be used.
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    The parts book and my own observations suggest the backing plates from the '52 and later Dana/Spicer axles will not interchange with the earlier ones.
This discussion has been closed.