Paint Stripper Suggestions

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
After making all the mechanical changes, and driving around all summer, my winter project is to strip, paint, and detail the engine compartment. I've yanked everything out again, and now I'm ready to remove the paint. I've never used a "chemical" strip before, so I would like suggestions of ones that you've used. I've got all the safety equipment so I don't have to have one that "safe and gentle". I'm looking for one that really "melts" the paint, without damaging the metal surface. Attached is after the mechanical changes. You can see, the firewall and fenderwells need lots of help.

Comments

• Use any of the "aircraft strippers" you get at your local auto parts store. I found that soaking the part with this stuff and then hitting it with a blast of water from a pressure washer would get almost all of it without any damage to the metal. Much better than sand blasting. Of course, you get the work and everything around it soaked.
  • Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    Eastwood offers a stripper. I have not used it but I have used other Eastwood Products and have been very satisfied with them.
  • il RECOMMEND TAKING ALL INNER FENDER PANELS TO HAVE PWDERCOATED BLACK, THE Y SANDBLAST THEM AND PUT ON A SHINEY BLACK POWDERCOATING. IT IS THE TO GO.
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    Try a different method. I took my 49 to a local body shop. It is a large shop that has a bplastic bead blast bay. For about $250.00 they blasted the entire car down to natural metal. You can spend almost as much on stripper and sanding disks. This shop uses the bead blast to remove paint from modern cars so ther was no metal damage. And this eliminates the risk op paint lifting. Just a thought for you to ponder,
This discussion has been closed.