Cowl Box?

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Started the process of stripping down the donor car last weekend. Pulled the dash (Dan, I'll need to get your address) and windshield, moldings, etc.

Now, there is a rather large metal box under the cowl on the inside under the dash. It is huge! I don't see any bolts holding it in there, soooooo, any ideas how to get it out or cut it down? I want to save the cowl, but don't think I need that big hunk of metal taking up space. It does seem that the cowl handle connects to the lower side of the box, which worries me that I would need to keep it if I want to use the cowl vent.

Also, I can't see how the cowl vent comes out. I'm thinking I need to get it out before the chem dip but maybe not?

Thanks.....Jay

Comments

• rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Hi Jay - you must be feeling better?

Really only the lower heater core portion of the vent system sticks down below the dash. If you remove the bolt on portion a simple flat piece of sheet metal can be welded in to the bottom of the box. Venting the air is another issue - I thought it would be cool to figure dual control system for the airflow that in one position blows the vented air into the car and in another position the air would go directly to the carbs somehow like forced induction - that would be cool, but probably undoable with the original wipers system and rear chevy mounted distributor...a builder can dream though!

The cowl vent has some phillips head screws on the hinges. If you open the vent and then peer down inside (after removing the screen) you can see them easily. If they're rusty - you know the drill, heat, soak, and bust em loose.

I'm going to weld a plate across the bottom of the box then use the original heater core housing to fit mini-form factor computer components into the box. That way I should be able to have affordable navigation and internet access while on the road plus dvd, cd's etc.

AccessPanelPass_1sm.jpg
    UnderDashCleaning_3sm.jpg
  • Jay, nice to hear that you have recovered enough to work on the Hudson again. We cut the box out with a sawza (sp) and ground out the last of it to get it smooth. It was right where I wanted the A/C to be mounted.

Barry
  • barry wrote:
    Jay, nice to hear that you have recovered enough to work on the Hudson again. We cut the box out with a sawza (sp) and ground out the last of it to get it smooth. It was right where I wanted the A/C to be mounted.

Barry

Thanks Barry, if I don't bend over too far or strain too much, I do okay. Besides, I got tired of laying around and decided that I would be careful, but I was going to get out of the house and do something! You've answered my question about the box. I'll cut it out. I was hoping to put the a/c there as well and possibly still get to use my glovebox, don't know yet if that will work, but we'll see. I'm hoping also that if I cut the box off, I can figure a way to keep the cowl vent, but it looks like the handle swivels off the box and may not work.

Your idea sounds cool Dan. I know you've got some trick sh*t going in your rod!

Jay
  • rambos_ride
    No problem keeping the vent no matter how much of the box you want to remove.

You don't need the handle or the box to keep the vent.. it'd be easy enough to cut only the lower portion of the box probably like at the solid white line - and possibly decrease the depth along the dotted line area. The biggest issue is there is a "baffle" that allows water to be drained and that is inside the box - this also may limit how much you could trim from the box.

At least if you leave some of the box you can have something to hook vent hose to route to vents...otherwise you'll need to make something.

Installation_3med.bmp

If you cut the box out completely it would still be easy to hook up the power cowl vent kit as it comes with a linkage that could be used to raise and lower the vent...so you wouldn't need to use the original parts and pieces like I did
    RockyHingeKit_1med.jpg

If you're biggest concern is the AC/HEATER most manufactures will give you dimensions (so you can make a cardboard template) or sell a dummy shell to use in making mounting points before purchase and installation.
    There's quite a bit of room underneath once you tear out the original heater pieces even with the glove box felt in place.
    Besides, gloveboxes in stepdowns are like kidneys...lose one and you can still keep going 'cause theres a spare!
  • Thanks much Dan. Great info. Looks like I may have a project for the weekend!
  • mrsbojigger
    mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
    Hi Jay,
    Good to see that you are getting a little work on the old Hudson.
    Yes, I also cut out the heater box. I will be welding the vent door shut on mine since I will have A/C. That area is the perfect place for the new unit.
    Peace,
    Chaz
  • rambos_ride
    mrsbojigger wrote:
    Hi Jay,
    Good to see that you are getting a little work on the old Hudson.
    Yes, I also cut out the heater box. I will be welding the vent door shut on mine since I will have A/C. That area is the perfect place for the new unit.
    Peace,
    Chaz

I thought about going "ventless" but for this project I wanted to keep some of the 'yester-year' mechanicals in tact.

When was the last time you saw a visible, external, moving vent of some type on a Detroit based car (I'd guess it to be the cowl induction hoods on the early 70's Chevelle SS - a 'vent' for the engine ;) ) - or cable driven wipers...ahhh....

But I could easily see doing a project where the vent and cables are removed and it would still be X-Cool because its a Hudson!
This discussion has been closed.