29 Starter Problems

Saturday A.M., Jeff Gould & I were loading up parts for the '28 Roadster. One battered fender was under a workbench in front of the '29 Town Sedan. The clutch always sticks on this car, but no worries this time as I had made and installed the handy-dandy little clutch pedal holddown tool last summer. The car started right up and all I needed to do is to remove the tool and slide it noiselessly into gear to reverse out of the storage area.

Well, that's the way it shoulda worked, but when I went to remove the tool, there was none! The clutch pedal was not depressed and sure enough, it was stuck solid. Either some sneaky, low down, nasty, despicable, horn swaggling, evil, vindictive person stole my tool, or I forgot and only THOUGHT I had made and installed it.

In any case, the clutch was stuck & I only know of one way to free it. Kill the motor, slide her into reverse, retard the spark, set the hand throttle up, jam one foot down on the clutch and tromp the starter pedal with the other. The car normally gives a shudder and then revs freely with the clutch busted loose. I HATE to do this as I can only guess at the stress and damage to 75 year old machinery, but there you are.

This time, the fates had a different outcome for us. The starter pedal depressed as usual and the motor just started to rotate, but before the motor could fire, the starter quit working. This Hudson has always had something wrong with the starter pedal. It is necessary to push the pedal just so far, too far and the starter slides out of engagement requiring an easing of pedal pressure to bring the pedal back up ready to depress again. It almost feels like there is some sort of stop missing someplace.

As it situation sits now, the starter will not operate, and we had to rock the car back & forth to get it out of gear. The clutch is still stuck. Because we were not able to determine if it was safe to leave the starter as it was, we disconnected the battery and left it as it was. What is amiss here? Can we reverse polarity on the battery cables and see if it will unjam itself or is the a better solution?

Paul O'Neil

SoCal

1926 Hudson Anderson Coupe

1929 Hudson Town Sedan

1939 Cadillac Coupe (How'd that get in here?)

www.cichet.us

www.aeromark.net

This discussion has been closed.