Some Light Reading...

rambos_ride
rambos_ride Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Ethanol injection for cars?
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/15427584/

A pretty interesting idea to boost performance and cut wieght.

Ever since I tore into Hudson and saw how light the stepdowns are I've thought that an alternative fueled Hudson hot rod would be an awesome project.

It's just insane to me that for all the advances in mechanics that detroit/import cars are so soul-less and lack style.

Anyway enjoy!

Comments

• dwardo99
    dwardo99 Expert Adviser
    I don't know where these guys at MIT have been, this was used on aircraft engines in WW2. I know the Germans used it (although they used a methanol/water mix rather than ethanol) and I'm PD certain that some American engines used it. I know we used straight water injection, anyway. The idea was to cool the mixture so that more supercharging could be used for the same octane. The Germans were very limited as far as octane was concerned so they had more incentive to use it. Everything old is new again!
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    dwardo99 wrote:
    I don't know where these guys at MIT have been, this was used on aircraft engines in WW2. I know the Germans used it (although they used a methanol/water mix rather than ethanol) and I'm PD certain that some American engines used it. I know we used straight water injection, anyway. The idea was to cool the mixture so that more supercharging could be used for the same octane. The Germans were very limited as far as octane was concerned so they had more incentive to use it. Everything old is new again!

Of course the leap MIT is attempting is to predict the conditions and make the injections at the moment before pre-detonation happens.

Here's another guy doing a "twist" on bio-diesel...still have to collect the oil...I don't think it would be good for me to drive a car that smells like a french fry!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003344787_veggieengines04e.html
This discussion has been closed.