46 pickup shock question

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Over the holidays, I started to tear into my truck and found that there are no rear shocks. At first I thought that they previous owner(s) had removed them when they started the restoration.

After looking at pics of other trucks under construction I am wondering if they were built w/o shocks?

If it is supposed to have shocks, where do they mount?

Comments

• they came without shocks, on the trucks, shocks didnt help much with 13 leafes on each spring. the lower mounts are there and probably the top, If not you need a heavy bolt at the top. Uses same shock as the stepdown rears, bill albright
  • Thanks

I am planning on removing some of the leaves and installing shocks since the truck will be used primarily for a light duty driver.
  • It has lower mounts (on the spring plates) but I don't see any upper mounting points.
  • russmaas
    russmaas Senior Contributor
    They are under the frame kind of hidden between were the frame breaks in front of the rear-end. Has two ears on each side. I took out 6 leaves starting from the second one from the bottom and removed every other one. Used 1990 suburban shocks
  • LanceB
    LanceB Senior Contributor
    I was going to add the shocks to my pickup also. The upper mounts are on the underside of the frame member that has the rubber bumper for the drive line.

Russ, are the shocks you used for a four wheel drive suburban?
  • I looked last night and found the upper mounts, makes sense now

also picked up the sheet metal to replace the cab floor...the truck is starting to resemble a truck again
  • russmaas
    russmaas Senior Contributor
    2 wheel drive 1500
  • LanceB
    LanceB Senior Contributor
    Thanks Russ

uc4me, the sheet metal that you got for the floor, is it shaped already or are you doing a patch with flat sheet metal?

Thanks,

Lance
  • you can get new preformed pans for the front but I thought they were a little pricey (I believe it was $350+ for a pair).

I bought a 4x8 piece of 18 gauge steel for $50

I have a bead roller and will run beads in the pieces , it won't be stock but it'll be strong and decent looking
This discussion has been closed.