29 Gas Gauge Situation

I just checked with Atwater-Kent in MA about the gas gauge sending unit for the 1929 Hudson. I had expected a $95 price and was shocked to be quote $450 & 4 weeks mfg. time! The unit they would make would be authentic down to the cork float. Nice as the sending unit sounded, it was way outside of budget and I had to decline.

Another option was offered. If I send them the old unit, they would use it as a pattern to make up a non authentic but workable sending unit. The price was $145 plus shipping and 2 weeks mfg. time in addition to shipping time 2 ways. This method would work, but still seems like a lot of expense and downtime.

The unit I took out was modern with plastic bits including something that looked like a compressed foam float. Mechanically, it work fine, but what of it electrically? I have no idea where it came from and no reason to trust that the previous owner had even the slightest idea that he knew what he was doing.

While the gauge on the dash did not indicate correctly, I don't know where the fault lies. How can I test the sending unit? I have a volt/ohm meter that I use to test batteries. How should it be set up and what indications would be good for test purposes?

Paul O'Neil

SoCal

1926 Hudson Anderson Coupe

1929 Hudson Town Sedan

1939 Cadillac Coupe (How'd that get in here?)

www.cichet.us

www.aeromark.net

This discussion has been closed.