Battery Jack & The Sad Saga of the Optima

Some weeks before Geoff Clark arrived in SoCal this past Spring to resuscitate a trio of ailing Super Sixes, I ordered a new 6v Optima battery to replace the 10 year old one that was in the 1929 Hudson. I ordered from a local chain store that had in the past been able to supply these in a few days. Weeks went by and after several trips to the store the battery finally came and it wouldn't hold a charge. It was replaced after another series of calamities and the second new good battery ended up going into the '39 Caddie which was desperate for one getting ready for the Chino Airshow.

Another new one was ordered for the '29 from an online source called Battery Jack. Despite promises, this battery was delivered in weeks rather than days and needed phone prompting to get that. The battery they delivered was new in wrap, but would not take a full charge. After a few weeks of trying both a 10 amp charger & the Battery Tender, I gave up and sent it back to them. Another TWO MONTHS went by and after numerous phone calls I finally received a package from Battery Jack - containing the old battery back again.

I was so hot about this that I was sputtering & spitting and threw it on the Battery Tender again just to verify it was still the same bad battery. Sure enough, a red light! I checked it again after lunch and much to my surprise, it green light was on and has been for several hours since.

What gives here? Why would a battery refuse to take a charge a few months ago but perform properly now? I didn't mark the battery in any way and cannot be sure this is even the same one. All I can think to do is to put it in the Hudson and see how it performs.

Battery Jack has the worst customer service I have ever run across in an auto parts supplier and I will be looking to try the place Jim mentioned a few weeks ago when the '26 is ready for its new battery. Beyond the four months of grief and bad faith, I'm still not clear on what to expect from these Optima batteries. In the past, they have always needed little or no time on a 1.25 amp Battery Tender. Now I have had two this year that would not hit green nor respond to the 10 amp push from a regular charger.

How can I realistically tell when the new battery is up to snuff and when it not? When is a continuing Red light a warning sign?

Paul O'Neil

SoCal

1926 Hudson Anderson Coupe

1929 Hudson Town Sedan

1939 Cadillac Coupe (How'd that get in here?)

www.cichet.us

www.aeromark.net

This discussion has been closed.