Wasp vs. Hornet

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Someone asked awhile back about the differences between a Wasp and a Hornet, and as I recall the big difference (other than trim and options) was the difference in wheelbase, the Wasp being a few inches shorter than the Hornet.

This I already knew, but I was under the impression that the Wasp just had shorter fenders, and hood, than the Hornet, and of course a slightly shorter frame under the engine.

This then leads to my question. Are the Wasp and Hornet body panels identical from the firewall back? What I'm getting at is -- could someone use a Wasp body to restore a Hornet if he used a Hornet front frame, fenders, and hood? I realize that the stepdowns were unibodies, but I'm also lead to believe that if its absolutely necessary, and money is not the object, that the frame can be detatched from the body enough to be repaired or replaced if its really rotted. This makes sense to me since if you couldn't, ---- there'd be a lot of Hudsons off to the junkyard over the years that simply had some collision damage to the front end. Obviuosly there was a way to fix that front frame.

Anyone out there had any experience with this question?

silverone

Comments

• Your question goes to the heart of what has happened in the past as HET affectionautos restored the more desirable Hudson body and model types. Those who were inhabitants of the southwestern and central southern states have been blessed with reasonable availability of rust free Hudsons to restore ... in all body types and models. This is not true for those in the remainder of the USA. Inclement winter seasons or proximity to saltwater took a heavy toll on the Hudson. So as the supply of used car lot Hudsons dried up, the Hudson restorers looked for the dry bodies to use as starting points. The Hornet coupes a convertibles were the most desired Stepdowns closely followed by the same body styles from the Commodore lines. The interchangeable fenders from a coupe or brougham were sacrificed to assure a convertibles slab sides were smooth and rust free.
    The four door Wasp donated doors and fenders to the Hornets being restored and on the story goes. Many an eastern HETer made the trek to Arizona or California to purchase the cheap and rust free tin they could not buy with Love or Money in their native rust belt states. So as time went on even the dry country stocks begin to dry up and the quick decisions to sacrifice a Wasp, Pacemaker or other lower model Hudson for it's part value began to slow.

Today it is unusual for the HETer to decide to part a complete Hudson Stepdown unless it suffers from terminal rust. Even then as Paul S will attest ... if the Hudson is a Convertible ... the time and labor are but a small price to pay to obtain and renew a Hudson Convertible.

You can remove and replace the front frame stub on a Wasp or a Hornet. If you are of a mind ... replacing a Wasp front stub with a Hornet stub is nothing more than time and effort. The firewall indentation will be peculiar, but do not let the wagging tongues dissuade your plans if that is the only way you have to get a rust free HORNET. HEAVEN knows, there are many MACH 1 Mustangs running around that started life as a lowly standard PONY.
    Restoration of the frame on the UNIBODY is possible... Paul S provided plenty of photos that prove even the terminal cases can be resuscitated.

Randy Owen did the same when he grafted a 54 Hornet Sedan rear section onto his damaged 54 Hornet. The very same thing that any UNIBODY car today goes through to repair it for return to the road.
    922sectionrepair54Holly-thumb.jpg923hudrearview-thumb.jpg92hhwwws6-thumb.jpg
    If you are bound and determined to repair what U GOT... take a look at this page of information from my Website. It provides some pictoral information on the amount of rust damage one can find in a Hudson unitbody frame. The pictures in this example are of a Hudson Convertible being restored by the replacement of most of the frame members as well as patching the floor.
    stepdownchassis.jpeg

Check out this site too... Dennis has put his convert on a rotisserie so he can see all the trials and tribulations he must deal with....Check it out...

One of the great north eastern HET'ERS, Art Adams had a 54 Hornet front clip on a 52 or 53 Hornet sedan. Art liked it and it was his car...

Mix and match them parts if that is the way you breathe life back into your Hudson. Good Luck
  • I have the Chilton Frame and Body manuals from 1947 to 1952 and, I'm trying to remember (the books are in Maine and I'm in Memphis), I think I have the one that covers the step-down years. These books have tons of pictures and parts listings along with frame diagrams.

Send me your email address, I will file it for the moment, and when I get back to Maine will check out what I have - Despite the thickness of these books, I can probably scan the material.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Hudsontech
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    There's a rust free 49 Commadore Std/OD in Albany, NY that needs re-assembling. Owner has neither money or time to finish. Also we found a barn-fresh 54 Hornet last summer near Fonda, NY w/twin H. Good #4 in my opinion for around $3500. HETcramergm@frontiernet.net for details. (drop the HET)
  • Thanks Ken, you are a wealth of information and its very appreciated. I have the sites you recommended all saved for future reference and enjoyment.

Thanks to you too Alex! Its folks like you who make me proud to be a part of this wonderfull club! My email address is HETlodgewood@shaw.ca

Uncle Josh, I appreciate the tip about the '54, and will pursue it forthwith!

Many thanks again to all of you.

silverone
This discussion has been closed.