57 Hudson Hollywood for sale...

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Guys,

I thought I would offer this thing forsale before I make a hot rod out of it.

Its one of 266 1957 Hornet Hollywood Supers made before AMC pulled the plug on Hudson.

I bought this from Paul Schuster in PA in September. I do have some photos

that I can email if interested. I DO NOT HAVE A DIGITAL CAMARA SO I CAN'T GET ANYMORE PICTURES.

Sorry but the info below is long but because I'm an engineer and I always go overboard in my explinations.

Here is the rust information:

1) It has some major rust in the trunk floor, driver's side rear frame rail behind the suspension needs to be replaced, there are two holes in the passenger's side fram rail starting behind the rear panhard rod mount.

2) The rocker panels below the doors have both been replaced with new metal. Its not 100% correct but its very solidly done and would work good for a driver.

3) Both front floor pans have been replaced with heavy steel and are solid

and do not flex at all and I weigh over 400lbs.

4) Both inner rocker unibody frame rails have been reinforced with "C" channel steel and are stout.

5) The rear floor pans have some sheetmetal over them and I have not fully investigated them beacuse I was planning on back-halfing this car. They do support my 400lb lard ass without me falling thru or deforming them.

6) The driver's side front fender has one .75" x 1.25" rust hole around the hood hinge area. The rest of the material around it is very solid.

7) The driver"s side rear quarter panel has a small rust hole that I have not totally investigated below the joint between the quarter panel and the rear "C" piller area.

8) The rear tail pan below the driver's side taillight has a area about 2" wide

by 3" tall that has some filler on it. I have not investigated this area but it is soild and I cannot push it in.

9) The rear tail pan on the passenger's side around the rear bumper also shows some signs of rust but I do not know how bad.

As far as dents and dings:

1) The Roof next to the driver's side "A" piller has an area that is dimpled from the inside. There are 5 or 6 dimples here that need to be hammered out but its not bad at all.

2) The driver's side door has one dent in the upper curved recess area that needs to be pressed out. This one is about .25" deep and should be easy to hammer out. No crease here.

3) The passenger's side quarter panel has a dent behind the gas tank filler that needs to be hammered out. Its like the one in #2 above.

I have not noticed any other dents but there may be a few like #2 & #3.

Paint and trim condition:

1) Paint looks to be orginal.

2) It has light Glacier blue top and side spear area with Medium Blue on the rest.

3) Front & rear bumpers are dent free and look to be good enough to re-chrome. They are not pitted but the chrome is thin in spots. No rust or signs of damage that I can see. The guards I believe match the bumper condition.

4) The side trim, all window trim, trunk trim, headlight rings, hood "V", hood, trunk & door letters are in good pit-free condition. I do have a set of rocker panel stainless pieces that real nice but need to be polished.

5) The front turn singal trim pieces are pit-free but the chorme is thin. I do have a set of excellent lens for the front parking-turn signals.

6) The taillights are in excellent shape except the paint is wearing off the chorme. The lens are perfect.

7) The grill is in good shape, being very straight and looks to be pit-free. The trim around the grille has some pits but is straight and the chrome is good.

8) The front Hudson lighted emblem & bezel is in good shape but the plastic had some internal cracks but still is good in color and the chrome is good.

9) The door handles and the one external mirror are good enough to have re-chromed. I do not believe there are any pits on these.

10) Neither of the door locks work from inside or outside. I do have all the key. The trunk lock does work.

Interior:

1) Well it is orginal except the really bad cloth on the center dash to replace the dash pad, the duct tape on the headliner, the purple shag carpet (YES I SAID PURPLE SHAG!!!) and the black cheepo seat covers. The interior need compeltly done and count on either totally rebuilding the recliner set up on the front sear or replacing the front seat.

2) The steering wheel is in good shape.

3) The speedometer works and shows 69,000+ miles.

4) The wipers work.

5) The headlights work.

6) The turn signals work.

7) The radio and the dash lights do not work.

8) The dome light works.

Glass:

1) Its got SOLEX blue tinted glass.

2) The driver's side door main glass is cracked but its between the panes down in the lamination glue. Its not even noticable until you are within 5 ft of the door.

3) The driver's side vent window is clear so its been replaced in the past.

4) The windshield, rear window, passenger's side vent, front & quarter, driver's quarter windows are in excellent condition.

5) None of these appear to be leaking and we have had over 6" of rain in the past 2 weeks alone.

Mechanical:

1) 327 V8 engine with new Edelbrock 600cfm Performer electric choke carb with a 2" spacer plate and a wcfb small bore to larger bore adaptor plate.

Note: I do have the ornginal Carter WCFB carb.

2) New timing chain and both gears from Egge machine just installed.

3) New Coil with spark plugs & wires. Also has new ballist resistor.

4) New battery.

5) Fuel pump was just pulled apart and totaly cleanned & rebuilt with a unleaded fuel diaphram. Note: I have an extra fuel pump that is new but its a AC and the car has the orginal Carter pump on it.

6) Fuel line was replaced by Paul within the last 2 years.

7) Radiator has been cleaned and looks good internally.

8) Water pump was replaced within the last 2 years.

9) Belts have been replaced within the last 2 years.

10) The radiator hose, fuel line and vacuum line are new.

The engine runs good but the electric choke is not yet hooked up. It does run ruff untill it warms up. It does not seam to be leaking any oil. The compression appears to be good. It does not have any miss at idle after it warms up. However when cold starting the starter appears to be weak. My opnion is that I will rebuild this engine if I keep it just so I can double check all the internal parts.

11) Has power stearing that works good without any leaks.

12) Has GM built Controlled Coupling 4-speed hydramatic. It leaks around the input seat behind the Fluid Coupling. I have a good Snap-On manual that shows the exact way to replace this. It does shift good. It goes into all gears. It does not slip at all when full of fluid.

13) The rearend shows signs of leaking gear lube out around the cover and the pinion seal. It dos not make any noise and the car drives straight so the front rubber donut appears to be good.

14) Brakes are power and will throw my 400lb lard ass threw the windshield.

The brakes are rebuild, has new lines & hoses. they apperar to be ready to go.

15) Had four matching 14" radial white wall tires with stock hubcaps.

Now for the totally Fu@ked up:

1) The trunk floor has been hacked. In the past someone cut the area above the gas tank and added a 2" filler section to raise the floor up for a NOVA station wagon gas tank. The NOVA tank had what looked like rust colored JELLO-GASOLINE in it when I pulled it off.

2) I have a stock 57 gas tank but it looks like its been shot with a shotgun, like 25 or 30 times. Its good for a pattern only.

3) The spare tire well has been cut out and replaced with a not as deep round metal piece.

Right now I have a Speedway Motors 3.5 gallon round Moon styled tank installed inside the trunk so I can move this thing around.

My feeling is the entire trunk floor needs to be replaced or reconstructed to match the orginal.

I would love to restore this car but I have two other restoration project that mean way more to me that this one does. Its rare since only 266 were built and the hard to find parts are in good shape.

I bought this as a driver but it need way more work than that.

With that said I am willing to sell it to a club member or a Hudson nut that would want to restore it to orginal condition or someone that wants a 1957 Hollywood.

If it does not sell I will back-half this car, install a ladder bar rear suspension with a 9" Ford rearend and making a 327 AMC powered gasser out of it.

I really would perfer someone to step up and work with me on purchasing this rare Hudson and keeping it orginal. Like I said I have two Hudsons, a 50 Pacemaker coupe that I built to drive and drag race thats about 80% done and a 42 Deluxe six that my Dad and I have been chasing for 34 years. Dad died last Febuary and I want to get onto the 42 because it has so much sentimental value, besides its a good looking car and the 57 if 10 shades of FUGULY!

Price of getting you into this rare Hudson is only $4600 which is about how much I spent buying it, driving 18 hours to get it, towing it home and the repairs on trying to make it a driver.

I can be reached at Turbodude390@cs.com anytime during the day.

Try this first as I do not check this board everyday.

thanks,

PaceRacer50
This discussion has been closed.