Hudson 8 valve lash

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
After taking a disappointing compression test, I found several valves tight on my '31 Hudson 8. What is the cold valve clearance for this car? If this doesn't solve the problem, I'm going to pull the heads. Does anyone know if the 32-33 Hudson 8 head gaskets will fit a 31? Anyone have a source for 31 Hudson 8 head gaskets or valves? Anyone here got a Hudson 8? I'm thinking of getting another one. I must be crazy

Have a good day

Steve

Comments

• Hi,

You will find all the information you need in a downloadable file on my Yahoo egroup pages - 1931 Hudson 8 Tune-up and Electrical.

Go to www.yahoo.com and click on Groups on the left hand side of the page. If you are not a member of any Yahoo Group, you will have to register. Once you do that look for the egroup HudsonTech. Once you enter that group, click on files and open the 1931 Hudson and Essex file folder.

To open the file you will need Adobe Acrobat - that is a free download at www.adobe.com .

I think I have the Mechanical Specifications and Adjusments for the 1931 Hudson 8 here (I'm visiting my daughter in Memphis, TN, and while most of my files are on my computer in Maine I have a lot of my stuff on CD's) - drop me an email and as soon as I can check I'll email them to you.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

HudsonTech

hudson_tech_1909@yahoo.com
  • Alex

I found it! Thank you very much.

Steve

smcmanus@mis.net
  • You need .006 inlet and .009 exhaust for the cold setting, but it is essential that you set the valves with the engine at normal operating temperature, as the exhaust valves will close up a little. This is more so if you have stainless valves fitted, as these have a different expansion expansion co-efficient than ordinary silicon steel valves. I doubt that a close setting will affect the compression, unless it is in fact zero, and the valves are not closing. A common problem with Essex 6 and Hudson 8 valve mechanism is wear in the cam follower pin. so long as the pin is tight in the lifter it is no problem, but if the pin has worn oval, and then starts turning in the lifter body you get a variable clearance. It pays to lift the followers out and check the condition of the pins in the lifter when you do a valve grind. If they are tight, leave it alone, if they are loose, you either have to replace the assembly, or if all else fails, put a little blob of arc weld on the end of the pin to stop it from turning. Good luck,

Geoff.
This discussion has been closed.