Rust repair

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Our new Hornet has a bad case of rust in the outer frame rails (don't know how bad yet). I've read Ken Cates' excellent article and I'm just solicitiing advice. What kind of product can be used to put inside the hidden areas of the frame to preserve it? POR-15? I plan to cut out the bad metal and replace it but this car is rather good cosmetically and I don't want to take it apart completely.

Comments

• Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    POR-15 is your best bet to preserve all the hidden noons and crannys along with floor pans and the trunk floor. You will probably want to use some type of sprayer with a long nozzle (like a garden sprayer) to get into all the blind and tight spots.
  • PoR has instruction for spraying the material. The out come of your actions will depend on how well you are able to address the inside of the rails. While I have no experience in the processing of the inside of the rails, it would seem to me that if you cannot obtain a complete seal the process of oxidation will continue.

The cost of PoR and similar products is quite high but worth the cost where you are able to assure a complete seal. Somewhat like adding a powder coat.

Good Luck
  • Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    POR-15 will surely do the job, but Eastwood's rust conversion product has been found superior in some respects by a couple of restoration magazines. Check it out.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    Eastwood's stuff is 'Corrolis' at about $23 /qt. Goes on nice, dries hard (if ya get it in the threads your gonna have to tap em out) and covers quite a lot. It's essentially epoxy and glass flakes.

Also there is a similar product called 'Hammerite' which comes in several colors in either hammered or smooth finish. At your local 'True Value' hardware, or find it on the web. at about $12 /qt.

Both of these products are made to put on after brushing the loose rust off. Top coating is optional on the Corrolis, but the Hammerite is good as is.
  • A few things. First off, I agree that you are NEVER going to get to all of the rust unless you completely dissassemble the car. Hudson liked to glob on plenty of primative seam sealers and when you peel it away as I have, you find lots more rust and in some cases, rot. Lets not even mention all of the spot welded seams which all hold some rust. Sooooo, unless you dont want to go through all the trouble, I recommend Eastwoods as well. I spray it all the time and it goes on easy. You can cut the hell out of it to make it go on further and dry faster. I had issues with POR 15 when I tried it. I have friends who brush it on everything including their wives but I dont like the stuff. My two cents.
  • Be careful, as I've read reports that those restoration magazines were paid quite well to run those articles promoting eastwoods stuff. Myself, I've tried em' all, and the only one worth my money is the por15. I've got some down on the whole underside of a 67' Impala for 7 years now and it looks like day one. The best site I've found for fast shipping, prices, and especially support... www.por15store.com
This discussion has been closed.