Its a Rat...

rambos_ride
rambos_ride Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Rat Rod and a Rambo Poser! Rambo's po'd and wants to have a talk with this dog trying to steal his thunder!

ramboposer.bmp

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes-Hudson-Super-six-rat-rod-street-rod-classic-led-sled_W0QQitemZ260053583176QQihZ016QQcategoryZ6472QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

46360_493ca400-1e2b-4c74-aef1-18736bcc4898.jpg

Comments

• That's not a rat rod, its a super low budget kustom

Exterior: 2 cans of krylon black and red primer: $12

Interior: The wifes old curtains or Mom's table cloth: Freebie

Matt FallOut
  • being a jerk trying to make money off the fad- priceless. haha it sounded like that mastercard advert
  • The bamboo pattern should be on the outside to give you that tropical feeling! lol At least is all put together....can't say that about mine yet. :-(

Don't sweat Rambo.....that mut doesn't look very happy anyway!
  • Rambo has nothing to worry about! Jay's right, that mutt doesn't look happy about being in such a POS! That ride is definitely rough as a cobb, note rust in quarters and doors.
  • i see the purests think that primer is crap here. I saw this car on ebay. looks like they did the primer to hide the body (classic sale of a used car). at my shop we call it the airisol overhaul. hey tristansdaz.... POS huh. well at least its not a trailer queen..... Why is it people look at a car they dont agree with and start talking crap. That car has a modified interior. not re-apolstered. It have a caddy steering colum, seats and center console. I can bet you it took at least a week to figure how to shoe horn that cady gear in there. I applaud the work and imagination of the builder.. I think its ugly as hell but I can appreciate the work and time someone spent to do the work.

Rambo. .......

When you gonna start a thread for the progess on your sled?

dying to see new progress.
  • rambos_ride
    49hudson wrote:
    i see the purests think that primer is crap here. I saw this car on ebay. looks like they did the primer to hide the body (classic sale of a used car). at my shop we call it the airisol overhaul. hey tristansdaz.... POS huh. well at least its not a trailer queen..... Why is it people look at a car they dont agree with and start talking crap. That car has a modified interior. not re-apolstered. It have a caddy steering colum, seats and center console. I can bet you it took at least a week to figure how to shoe horn that cady gear in there. I applaud the work and imagination of the builder.. I think its ugly as hell but I can appreciate the work and time someone spent to do the work.
    ---

Well, this is the Street Rod forum - you'll find lots of us into primer and satin black! My 49 will be satin black BTW

However, bomb-can primer, crudly applied over sheet metal, stainless and chrome alike is not anything to be proud of - I'd call you out on it if I saw it on your ride!

I like aspects of the "Rat Rod" build ideal...like keeping things low-budget, using period parts and such...but ask anyone here on the forum...my admiration stops when I see shoddy work, and unsafe cars!

This Hudson could make a good project providing they placed the front clip on correctly and the work was done with quality...but judging from the pictures...well...I'm not going to hold my breath

And Rambo is still p.o'd!

Rambo. .......
    When you gonna start a thread for the progess on your sled?
    dying to see new progress.

Well - new progress would imply I've been working on the car...sadly no real progress has been made in the last 6-8 months. :( If you haven't followed the threads I started working on the car 2 years ago in the carport/driveway of my house.

Rain, sleet, snow and hail I was out there scraping and cutting and welding and grinding. Even with some money problems last year (didn't have none:mad: ) I'm still nearly finished with the heavy fabrication and now the build is to a point that I really can't do anymore without having access to shop space.

My friends bodyshop has just been too busy for him to donate shop space to the cause and so I sold my crummy house here in July and have been looking for a house with decent shop space and some property since then.

Just within the last 2 weeks I made an offer on a place with 1.25 acres and 6 car garage - its going through the process of closing as we speak...maybe even as early as this week!

If everything progresses I'll be moving in the next month and then all "Hudson H-E-L-L" will break loose! You'll all get sick of progress updates and tell me not to make anymore until I finish!
  • mrsbojigger
    mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
    Ah-h-h Gee Dan! And I was just about to start catching up with you. Putting 4 wheels under it today and then back to the media blasters.
    Peace,
    Chaz
  • rambos_ride
    mrsbojigger wrote:
    Ah-h-h Gee Dan! And I was just about to start catching up with you. Putting 4 wheels under it today and then back to the media blasters.
    Peace,
    Chaz

No...you'd be ahead of me at this point!

My body tub has yet to make it to the media blasters the 1st time!
  • mrsbojigger
    mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
    Well, lets just say we are runnin parallel. Word of warning about media blasting. You get a lot of surprises once that rust and paint starts coming off. I am cringing at the thought of taking it back to the media blasters. Maybe I'll ask them to keep a light hand on it since they are just going to add texture to the new metal and re-do the front clip because of bad primer.
    Also, about this rat rod. I thought the rattier the better. Is rattier a word?
    Stay cool and say Hi to Rambo,
    chaz
  • i fully agree with you on the rattle can stuff.... but. like I said it looks like an airesol overhaul, trying to sell the car.

I just get tired of the "ole timmers" saying it has to be finish sanded and shinney painted before its not a POS. I spend about 3 hrs a day working on my sled. Which sucks since the accident. all that work has to be redone... but my car has and never will be "pretty" by those standards. I agree with the shoddy work aspect as well... do it right or dont do it. what I dont like is when people say "well why didnt you do it like this" or "shoulda done it like this" or , and this is my favorite "I woulda done this". Car building is all preferance. And its the person building the car NOT the person looking at the car.

Like I said... Ive seen some of the ugliest cars (in my opinion) but still see the beauty in the work. for a car builder, I can look at a car and see the trials and tribulations of the build and can appreciate what it took to get the car to were the builder saw it in his/her head when he was looking at a rusted shell......

I wouldnt buy the car. It would take to much to make it worth it.

To bad your stalled on you ride. Ive checked your site and the mods youve done are out there (but very kool. cant wait to see what you think up next.
  • MikeWA
    MikeWA Senior Contributor
    Just within the last 2 weeks I made an offer on a place with 1.25 acres and 6 car garage - its going through the process of closing as we speak...maybe even as early as this week!

Let us know where your new place is, and post some pics (of the garage, of course- who cares about the house? :D My offer to come over, drink your beer and borrow your tools, while making critical comments without lifting a finger to help, still stands.
  • Hey, got mine on cinder-blocks the other day! Its something I guess. Only the fuel/brake lines and the brake master to remove now before dipping.

Think I'm really behind you all! lol
  • rambos_ride
    Mike (WA) wrote:
    rambos_ride wrote:

Let us know where your new place is, and post some pics (of the garage, of course- who cares about the house? :D My offer to come over, drink your beer and borrow your tools, while making critical comments without lifting a finger to help, still stands.

I'd definitely take you up on that offer! Every tried to hang a hood on a stepdown by yourself?:eek:

I've been a little leery of "jinxing" the deal by talking about it too much! Until pen is to paper and key is in hand that is...but I got a call about my insurance retainer so that means the appraisal came through and they are processing the paperwork.

Location is Port Orchard, about 5 minutes from the Southworth ferry terminal.

The shop space is a bit rough - but I'll clean it out and make it my own

There is a 2 car garage on the house image#1 and then a 4 car shop image #2.

Both have some spaghetti wiring that has to be gutted and my plan is to gut both shops by taking it them down to drywall. Remove all hokey cabinets and shelves and repaint and clean the floors - only the 2 car garage will get floor paint as this is the "play shop" or for finished stuff.
    #1 - 2car garage
    2car.jpg
    #2 - 4car garage
    4car.jpg
  • Mike (WA) wrote:
    rambos_ride wrote:
    Just within the last 2 weeks I made an offer on a place with 1.25 acres and 6 car garage - its going through the process of closing as we speak...maybe even as early as this week.

Geez......stop you NW guys! I'm so jealous you got these cool places with shops! I can't get my wife to move more than 30 minutes from downtown! Can you imagine what even a one acre piece here in Scottsdale goes for? And it probably doesn't have a shop already built on it. You know, its probably the only really big issue that my wife and I have.

But anyway, congrats guys. Keep sending the pics.

Jay :-)
  • MikeWA
    MikeWA Senior Contributor
    Looks great, Dan- the shelves in the 2 car gotta go, but thats a pretty good amount of shelving in the end of the 4 car, and unless they're really mouse, I'd consider keeping them because YOU NEVER HAVE ENOUGH SHELVES! I've got a two bay shop now, but there's another 3 bays that are presently open as a machine shed, and I plan to build another shed for the farm equipment so I'll have room for the really important (Hudson) stuff. I look forward to brazenly inviting myself up (I'm outside of Chehalis) next summer, with the '48 Bad Bee coupe (Not a Hornet, but close- has Hornet Twin H engine and '51 Hornet dash). Maybe one of us can rent Jay some shop space. . .
  • rambos_ride
    Mike (WA) wrote:
    Looks great, Dan- the shelves in the 2 car gotta go, but thats a pretty good amount of shelving in the end of the 4 car, and unless they're really mouse, I'd consider keeping them because YOU NEVER HAVE ENOUGH SHELVES! I've got a two bay shop now, but there's another 3 bays that are presently open as a machine shed, and I plan to build another shed for the farm equipment so I'll have room for the really important (Hudson) stuff. I look forward to brazenly inviting myself up (I'm outside of Chehalis) next summer, with the '48 Bad Bee coupe (Not a Hornet, but close- has Hornet Twin H engine and '51 Hornet dash). Maybe one of us can rent Jay some shop space. . .

The big shop is going to be where all the heavy lifting happens. I don't want a bunch of shelving and other things cluttering the space. Beside which most are made of wood and would tinder up very nicely from fire! Since I'll be doing a lot of welding the less things that can catch fire the better!

I actually looked at some houses in the Chehalis area as well. I logged nearly 3500 miles driving around the state looking for property.

This place is a 45 minute commute by ferry to West Seattle and from there I can get downtown or to the eastside (where I used to live) pretty easily.

It'll be public record anyway...I got the place for 335k and some change. This house in Kirkland would be 2.5+ Million - if you could even find an acre of land.

I think no matter where you live these days you have to move to more rural areas to get the privacy and shop or room for a shop.

I've looked at some homes on smaller lots with shops - but you could never get away with what I want to do because of the noise; so at this place I shouldn't have any issues with neighbors.
  • geez.... don't you street rodders ever get anywhere on your cars????

hahaha.....

actually, I was going to say, I kind of like the 48-9, I think the spray bomb look is pretty cool on this one.... It would be nicer to see it maybe a bit better executed. but efinitely cool....

As far as the dog...

Dan, I heard that dog was so unhappy and tired from the thousands of miles he had to ride around in the hudson. He used to hang his head out and love it, but he said all that time riding around gets old after a while. hehehe...

hope you get the place!

Happy Thanksgiving all!
  • Mike (WA) wrote:
    Maybe one of us can rent Jay some shop space. . .

Perfect! Now all I need is that heavy lift helicopter and some gas money! (I may just take you guys up on that! lol)
  • 49hudson wrote:
    hey tristansdaz.... POS huh. well at least its not a trailer queen..... Why is it people look at a car they dont agree with and start talking crap.

As most of the guys that have been here for some time know, I'm a full supporter of modified Hudsons as well as the fully restored ones. I've done a full boogie 1953 Super Wasp with a 460 Ford, C6, narrowed rear end with four link that fit 14X32s in the fenderwells. The interior was so ratty that we kept losing the seat stuffing after every run down the quarter mile!

If you're talking about the '51 vert on my car hauler, it was just purchased after a long time sleeping (since 1972). This car has a 1955 Oldsmobile 324 V8 and Hydramatic in it that was installed in 1960. The Olds will stay in it for the forseeable future and I'll be driving it "as-is", non-restored.

What I was talking about was the rattlecan primer hiding the body that is so friendly that it waves at anybody going down the road. The front bumper looks like it was beat out with at 16oz ball peen hammer. It's just my opinion that this particular car was given the slipshod tuneup to sell to some unsuspecting buyer on EBay. :eek:

BTW...I appreciate your car as well, it's not in the same category as this pile.:cool:
This discussion has been closed.