Hudson VIN\'s

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I want to thank all those who replied to my question about engine serial numbers but I still can't find them. Can anyone tell me if there is a frame number that will serve as a VIN and satisfy title requirements (and it's location on a 49' two door?) Any ideas appreciated !
Getting desperate....CaptEd

Comments

• ED HI WHATS WITH ALL THE WORRY ABOUT MATCHING NUMBERS THIS IS MUCH TO DO ABOUT NOTHING WHEN LOOKING AT AND BUYING HUDSONS THE VIN #'S ON THE CAR AND THE SN OF THE ENGINE IS NOT THE # ON THE VIN. WHEN LOOKING AT AND BUYING NEWER COLLECTOR CARS THIS #'S MATCHING THING MEANS SOME THING WHEN IT CONES TIME TO BUY OR SELL YOU CAN HAVE A BUILD SHEET FOR THE CAR TELLING JUST WHAT WAS ON THE CAR WHEN IT WAS BUILT. THERE ARE NO BUILD SHEETS ON A HUDSON BUT I DON'T FEEL IT MEANS MUCH TO THE HUDSON GUY THIS IS JUST MY THOUGHTS BUT I'VE BEEN IN THE HUDSON CLUB OVER 30 YEARS AND HAVE SEEN MANY CARS SOLD WITH OUT THE ORIGNAL ENGINE/TRANS/REAR END FOR BIG $ HAVE A NICE DAY <font color="red"> </font>
  • Hi CaptEd:

There is a metal manufacturer's plate attached to the front, passenger door jamb that has the model number and serial number of the car stamped on it. That number serves as the VIN number for securing a title. On our '54 the serial number is also the same as the original engine number but I don't remember if it's the same for '49's. The engine number is stamped vertically on the front, passenger side of the engine just below the cylinder head. If you're having trouble finding the engine number, you may need a wire brush to remove some of the old dirt or grease that's probably covering the number. Hope this helps.

Tim
  • Hey, Thank you for the tips....and yessir! I found the number (vertically stamped) right where everyone said it was...trouble was that it was covered with paint, rust, a fine layer of river mud and another layer of paint...the steel brush worked fine.
    Florida wants either a "windshield VIN or a Engine serial number in pre-55' cars. My thanks to you and all the folks who replied to my questions (no doubt I'll have more ). I do appreciate it !!!
    Ed A.
  • Some kind soul posted the following photo to our Hudson MSN photo album site, showing the serial number stamped (vertically) at the front corner of the engine block:

hudson%20project%20053.jpg
  • The number is also on top of the frame. Pass side just back of the brace from frame up to cowl. Same place on Pacemaker but it doesnt have brace. Hard to find without removeing inner fender.
  • Serial numbers for stepdowns are on the passenger side top framerail in three places all of which are visible if the flooring is stripped away , with the exception of the first imprint as was alluded to in the Paul Schuster reply.They just progress down the framerail toward the rear of the car.
  • Hi everybody, here's the guy from Finland who was asking for VIN numbers last summer... and found it on the engine with your help, thanks! Thought I'd drop in an update and a question as this thread happened to deal with VIN #s...

Now, the mystery here is that the local automobile enthusiasts found one of the original registering papers dating to early sixties, by the number on the block, and in the paper the number is prefixed with 4A. The car is a '52 Pacemaker... Doesn't match, does it?

Have I understood it correctly that this 4A means year '51? If so, how come the papers state the car as being a '52, and I also made the identification myself by the taillamps being horizontal and by the shape of front turn signals... And the number itself, 166837, points to '52, right?

Well, finding the number on the frame is on to do list, perhaps this all comes down to a motor swap pretty early in the car's history?

Sorry for the long post once again, but any thoughts would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Hannu Lesonen
    Rovaniemi, Finland
  • Regarding the year, we have the same problem here in N.Z. of vehicles being registered say in January 1952. They are of course 1951 models usually, but due to shipping time, and perhaps sitting on the showroom floor for a month or so, they don't get registered in the same year as they were made. So the registration papers only reflect that - the year they were registered nad put into use, not the year of manufacture.
    Geoff.
  • Consider yourself lucky to live in a state that merely wants a windshield vin - Massachusettes and I think Ohio require at least a 16 character VIN.
This discussion has been closed.