Oil pan gaskets

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I'm considering replacing the oil pan on my other orphan. I have the cork gaskets, but was wondering if I should use a sealant also. Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Jason

Comments

• Club Coupe
    Club Coupe Expert Adviser
    The individual manufacturers of each brand of gasket will have recommendations as to whether or not to use sealant and what type of sealant if the use is recommended. Just follow the manufacturer's recommendations as what to do.
  • Hi Jason,

I would suggest that you make a one-pc oil pan gasket using NAPA's "JV-102" (cork and rubber combo); it's large enough to make the valve cover gaskets too and have some left over for future needs. In addition, coat only the block side of this gasket with something like Copper Coat or Hi-Tack. Leave the pan-side of the gasket dry. Don't forget the O-ring around the oil pickup tube at the block. If you coat the pan side of the gasket with silicone, RTV, etc., it's just like greasing the gasket and as you tighten the pan bolts the gasket can/will get squeezed out and may even split and soon leak. Best of luck to you. John
This discussion has been closed.