29 Hudson Will Not Start

All:

Today the 29 Super Six roared back into life once again. Been chasing this issue since Christmas. Went through the ignition system carefully, which was very helpful in getting good strong sparks to each cylinder at the right time. However, the fundamental problem was bad gas. It had been there a year or so and was fine in August. So at Christmas, the tank was fairly low and I put some fresh gas in the tank along with some Stabil. I figured since it ran fine in August, it would be fine with the new gas. However, the fuel pump and carb still had just the old stuff.

To get rid of the old gas, I took a syringe, sucked everything out of the float chamber and put in some fresh stuff. Also pulled the plugs and put some fresh gas and a little starting fluid in each cylinder. With that, the car would fire and sputter and run a little bit and die. After a number of repeats of this process it used up all the gas in the fuel pump and the gas was refreshed throughout the system. At that point it started running just like the Super Six is supposed to run.

So the lesson here is, if you live in the States, treat the gas in your tank and keep it fresh. Dont let it get empty for winter storage.

Thanks for your help and suggestions. Its running again and cant wait until some good weather shows up and I can get it out of the barn.

Cliff