after-market ammeter hookup question

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I recently had my generator changed to 12 volt on my 53 Hornet and now wish to install an aftermarket ammeter. The instruction booklet for the sunpro ammeter said to break the circuit from the battery to the alternator/generator and connect the ammeter between the two (hence 'rerouting all the power through the ammeter that drains or charges the battery, except the power needed to operate the starter motor'). My question is where to I break the circuit at. There are two wires going out of the generator to the voltage regulator. Can I break it at one of those wires, and if so, which one? or do I do it somewhere else. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Dear Jim:
    My advise to you is not to install an ampmeter (and there are a bunch of folks who would disagree with me). Go with a voltmeter and you'll be a happy man. I've had two ampmeters bite the dust and always someplace where it is a major hassle. Bear in mind that's a lot of juice to have right behind the dash. If you must have an ampmeter then trash the instructions and use minimum 8 gauge wire and every now and again check it to see how hot it gets. Good Luck !
  • RO here, I'm not on my home computer and cannot recall my password, but I'd vote for the voltmeter as well. Through the years on several vehicles, I have found it much more useful. It is such an easier installation as well.
  • Go with a volt meter. The ammeter went in my truck. After studying the wiring diagram in the service book I had, I decided it was easier to wire in a volt meter. In my case I simply spliced it into the hot lead going to the radio, which was handy. Works fine.
  • To answer your first question, you disconnect the wire from the "B" terminal of the regulator, extend this up to your ammeter, and then take the wire from the other side of the ammeter back to your "B" terminal. I find an ammeter very useful, as you can check whether the regulator is set correctly, that the charge rate drops as the battery becomes fully charged, etc. The only drawback with the usual ammeter available is the hopeless graduation. I prefer a 30 amp ammeter with a wide face so you can actually see the reading. A lot of after-market units are 60 amp with very lilte deflection, and a 30-60 marking only which is pretty uselss. As stated, make sure you use a good heavy wire up to the Ammeter. Good luck.
    Geoff, N.Z.
This discussion has been closed.