Essex Hot Rod

Unknown
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Any one here put an aftermarket IFS under a 28 Essex? any recommendations?

Dan

Comments

• A mustang II should work. I sure would like to see a photo of your Essex.
  • There is a place in Alberta Canada. McGyvers street Rods. The make a complete hub to hub for a 28 Essex. The make it so you can run fenders. If you are not running fenders then any IFS for 28-31 Model A will work. I have a 28 Essex coupe that I am building. I am using an old school dropped front axle, 9 inch ford rear, 4 wheel lincoln discs, 354 Hemi with a 700R4 tranny. The car will be 2 tone black and grey with red wheels, red pinstripe and Coker whites. Gonna do the interior in tuck and roll red and black. I have done alot of research on front ends, suspension etc. and would be happy to answer any questions you have that I have encountered.

cheers
  • I would appreciate any and all pictures of any Essex hot rods, particularly traditional/ rat rod type cars. I've got a 1928 which was my great grandfather's first car. Front and rear doors appear to have identical posts, and I am missing one front door, so the plan is to make it a 2 door by sliding the cowl back. Plan to channel and chop it as much as possible while still being able to fit inside. If anyone has seen this done on an Essex I would love to see it. Hoping for a Comp Coupe look, kinda like the attached image.

Also, this may be a stretch, but I wondered if anyone knows if any different spindles fit the stock front axle. I would either be running a spindle-mount 12 spoke with no brakes, or a steelie with Buick drum. Not sure if i wanna go the rat rod route, or finish to a higher level. Either way, the plan is to keep it 50's period correct.
  • Sounds like a great project Snoop! I like those old style rods too, though my Coupe will use modern drivetrain because it will be my daily driver.

Jay
  • I understand where your coming from. I've got a 49 Studebaker pickup which i plan to actually make driveable. Perhaps a dual quad 327 with a 4 speed or something along those lines. Something nice, but still driveable. The Essex I just want to be as wild as I can go. Not totally sure what engine I'll go with, but I would really like to have either hilborn injection on it, or as many carbs as Homer Simpson has fingers.
  • How about a twin blower hemi! Saw one in a T Bucket years ago in San Jose and boy how cool! With no hood, you'd have lots of open area for whatever set-up you wanted. Post some pics as you get along on it.

Jay
  • Are you thinking stacked blowers, or running in parallel on a v shaped intake? I have seen both. Both look wicked. Another option is going to a potvin-style blower out front. With the front doors off there will be tons of room in the wheelbase for long set ups. Uncommon Engineering makes a lot of cool stuff, including an overhead CAM flathead ford, check it out if you've never seen it before. http://www.uncommonengineering.com/

Speaking of T Buckets... here is a video taken of my buddy's. Its got a 4 carb early-olds in it, 4speed cast iron hydromatic, and a Lynn quickchange. Very sweet ride.

http://media.putfile.com/kookie36
  • Are you thinking stacked blowers, or running in parallel on a v shaped intake? I have seen both. Both look wicked. Another option is going to a potvin-style blower out front. With the front doors off there will be tons of room in the wheelbase for long set ups.
    The one I saw was a "V'd" intake with two blowers running parallel to each other at 45 degree angle when look at from the front. Only one I have seen, though was out of the street rod scene for many years until recently. I think whatever set-up you go with will be very cool!

Jay
  • One under '27 Essex street rod In this Forum
  • Is this your car - love it!!!!!!

Mac
  • Danny,

I have a 29 Essex Coupe with an IFS from Fatman Fabrications under it. I'm very pleased with the handling of it and it was surprisingly easy to install. All they need is a couple measurements for the frame width. I bought the 'Affordable IFS'. This is their website http://www.fatmanfab.com/

Check out my website www.nucwa.com/page2.html

GaryB

Taylor, AR
  • i've always found fat man fab. in n.c. to be very helpful. www.fatmanfab.com
This discussion has been closed.