Alternator bracket

Does anyone have a pattern to make an alternator bracket for a 49 Super 6 262? Or does someone have said bracket and what pulleys to use? Have a friend converting his car to 12v. 

Comments

• I have a mounting bracket for a GM alternator, and it bolts where the lower generator bracket mounts on any Hudson 6 cylinder. Have pictures if you want to look at my set up
  • I also have a GM hei built too. Have those pics too
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    edited October 2020
    Bottom LH corner of this pic is a DIYed alternator bracket, they are all going to be much the same but subtly different depending on the alternator used.
    First up you need make the base, for which I used 1" x 3/8" flat drilled to suit the mounting holes in the block. Leave the base over long until you have the ears mounted, trim as required.
    The 2 ears are 1" x 5/16" flat positioned so the alternator pulley lines up with the crank and water pump pulleys. The 2 round bits tacked to the ears are an after thought, they are tapped (captive nuts effectively) to make it easier to bolt on the alternator.
    With luck and/or a bit of fiddling should be a be able to re-use the stock adjustment strap.
    Make sure the alternator you buy is a LH mount alternator.

• I have a 46 pickup with a 8 cyl. And GM alternator like above phot. I used a GM side terminal battery to eliminate any chance of the hood shorting out across the top of the battery. I have seen holes burned in the hoods of 41-47 Hudsons that have had to tall of a battery installed.
  • Thank you guys for the input. I like seeing what everyone comes up with
  • I had a custom made lower alternator bracket, then used a upper swing bracket from gm engine that had the alternator on the driver side of the engine

• I have pictures of how I set my alternator up if you are interested
  • 7XPacemaker
    7XPacemaker Senior Contributor
    I also have a GM hei built too. Have those pics too

I would like to see the pics of that and what you did to make it work please!
  • 7X, 

This is my GM HEI. My machinist did the welding as well as off set the tang for the oil pump. The housing is from a Chevy inline 6 cylinder engine

They are an exact match in length including the offset
  • Installed in my engine