1934 Terraplane Pick up bed/box for sale.

Located in London, Ontario, Canada.

Purchased the box to use on a project build for a Model A pick up. Based on its condition and the fact I will be required to cut it down to make it work for my build I'm having a crisis of conscience about cutting up a piece of rare automotive history and its keeping me up at night.

The box is complete, decent tailgate, stake pockets, stops, all with no major rust through. There are one or two minor spots that would need attention (under bed support structure at rear of bed) other than typical surface rust and pitting this bed is as stated, complete and a prime candidate for use in a Hudson resto. If the box does not sell by the time I need it for my build (next 2-3 months) I will be cutting it down to fit my build, I'm ashamed to say that but the kids are anxious to complete our build. 

I'm prepared to pallet, band and ship at your cost and can help ensure proper paperwork accompanies it to speed it to you should you be across the border. 

If you are interested and need additional info, pics, video etc I can post / provide and will happily answer any relevant questions. Price is negotiable, would need to make it worthwhile for me to source / fab a replacement for my build.

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Good of you to offer this for sale.  It sounds very scarce indeed!  Could you post a couple photos of it?
  • Not sure if it makes a difference just realized the previous owner had 1933 written on the box, I have it as a 1934. 
  • ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    Wow! Looks great. I am sure you will find a taker.
  • I don’t have a dog in this race, as I don’t have a need for or an interest in buying the Terraplane box, but it would be a shame to cut this up for a Model A project. Complete reproduction boxes for Model A’s are available. I just Googled “Model A reproduction pickup boxes” and Mac’s has a complete box including tailgate for $1599 US.

Of course I don’t know what shipping to Ontario would be.

I sure hope someone responds to your offer. There just can’t be too many of these boxes around.

Tom
  • Thanks for the responses. 

I have looked at those boxes for the model A, there seem to be several sources for the same however the cost with shipping makes them more than I want to throw at my project. I may opt to get the parts fabbed locally to replicate as close to a model a box as is representational and call it a day. I can fab some items myself and will weld it up (the manchild is being taught to weld so he may find it a project to be proud of). 

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a conscience when it comes to things like this that retain an irreplaceable historic value ...even if it it's somewhat personal in nature.

A month ago I was asked by a friend to help hang some doors at her rental property; one door she had sourced for the job was an antique wood and glass door that would have been removed from a large fancy century home or restaurant, it is a two way swing door with the old detent mechanism attached. Making it fit required the door to be cut down to fit, I couldn't do it. The door was too nice and unique to be repurposed. I drove two hours home to exchange it for another I had at home that was a reproduction door.

I hope this forum helps me find a home for it, as Tom has stated there can't be too many of these out there.
  • Do you still have this box?  Douglas