Don't know what its called but I need it for Lola

mrsbojigger
mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Hey Guys,
As you all know I am converting my 4-door to a 2-door. I am nearing the time to start grafting in the door pillars, doors and rear panels (fenders).
When I dismantled my RUST BUCKET (the 4-door), there were some horizontal flat pieces that were secured to the door sill and extended out to attach to the faux rocker panels. They just fell apart on me. I think these were used for keeping the rocker panels out in place and to follow the contour of the lower body. I don't mean the shiney pieces that you see when you open the door but the attachment pieces below them. I looked in the Hudson body service manual but could not find them.
Does anyone have some old ones (2-door) that I could use as a pattern so I can make some new ones?
Peace,
Chaz

Comments

• Chaz, the part you are referring to is called the scuff plate support{if it's painted black} If it's the corresponding part that attaches to the rocker, then it's the scuff plate rocker extension.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    mrsbojigger wrote:
    Hey Guys,
    As you all know I am converting my 4-door to a 2-door. I am nearing the time to start grafting in the door pillars, doors and rear panels (fenders).
    When I dismantled my RUST BUCKET (the 4-door), there were some horizontal flat pieces that were secured to the door sill and extended out to attach to the faux rocker panels. They just fell apart on me. I think these were used for keeping the rocker panels out in place and to follow the contour of the lower body. I don't mean the shiney pieces that you see when you open the door but the attachment pieces below them. I looked in the Hudson body service manual but could not find them.
    Does anyone have some old ones (2-door) that I could use as a pattern so I can make some new ones?
    Peace,
    Chaz

Mine were rotted out as well...while you all are scrounging for a 2 door set for Chaz - look out for a good 4 door set for me as well!
  • mrsbojigger wrote:
    Hey Guys,
    Peace,
    Chaz

Are you talking about the flat piece that lies flat along the top of the outer framerail (I don't think they connect to the fender), but have a flat bent down lip that sits against the lower fender to keep it steady. Mine had some squishy crap that ran along the edge, I guess to keep the fender from rattling against this piece. I'll see if mine (on the original Coupe) look like there is enough of them left, there is some rot. Anyway, I'll see what I have and let you knbow.

Jay
  • mrsbojigger
    Jay,
    Hudzilla says he has a set so I am replying back to him at this time.
    Nice to know what it's called.
    ALSO, YIPPEEE! I have the car sitting on all 4's as to this afternoon. I have the Granada rear end and the Camaro suspension under it also. Tomorrow we will transport the motor and trans over for a trial fit so I will know how to make the floor/trans cover from sheet metal.
    chaz
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    mrsbojigger wrote:
    Jay,
    ALSO, YIPPEEE! I have the car sitting on all 4's as to this afternoon. I have the Granada rear end and the Camaro suspension under it also. Tomorrow we will transport the motor and trans over for a trial fit so I will know how to make the floor/trans cover from sheet metal.
    chaz

No fair...you're pulling ahead of my build!

I'm going to have to pull some all-nighters once I move to get caught back up to you!

Way to go though! It keep the rest of us motivated to see someone making progress!
  • mrsbojigger
    10-4 good buddy
  • mrsbojigger wrote:
    Jay,
    chaz

Yeah, Yeah! lol I'm so jealous Chaz! But every little thing I do to mine makes me feel good.

How about some more pics? I am going to be very interested in your tranny tunnel idea.

Jay
  • mrsbojigger
    Ug-g-h-h!!!! What turned into a routine drop the motor in place in one hour turned into an all day job. This is the first time for the engine/trans, Camaro clip and body to all came together as one unit. Nothing fit at the firewall. The engine/trans was higher, wider and further back than the original power train. Fortunately I had not welded in the new firewall and I could unbolt it This morning I am cutting a larger opening for the trans tunnel which means ALL sheet metal over the drive train changed but this is why I pre-fit before welding.
    Well the good news is that I have the engine is set well back for clearance at the front of the engine and all of the stock exhaust headers and pipes fit perfectly.
    Chaz
  • Bummer man! But sounds like you've got it under control. Still, post pics of your flooring when you've figured it out. I now I'm going to have to redo my tranny tunnel, but am REALLY hoping to be able to keep the stock front bench seat.

Jay
This discussion has been closed.