54 hudson jetliner

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
hello my name is eric mcarthur i live in renton washington and i own a 1954 hudson jet liner. two tone, black with a creme colored top. it's a four door

model 3d and has all the extra stanless trim and options includeing back up lites! it dosent have twin h and has the regular cast iron head on the 202

block. i am 20 and i have had this car for about 5 years now and so far this is

all i have done to it . startor motor rebult ,brushes bushings. rivets ratchet spring retainer thingy. plugs wires distributor, rotor, points, condensor, 6 volt battery, generator works, water pump rebult new shaft from tennessee, electric fuel pump, fuel filter, united oil bath air filter re painted and new decal applied, carb re bult but dosent run right, new bulbs and old patched up wireing harness, new center pivot steering shaft tapered pin torrington berrings and zerc fitting re useing seals still good but new seal washer, all new brake pads honed out cylinders new seals, springs, cups, but old pistons

cylinders still pitted. left rear fender skirt sanded to metal, new master cylinder. thits all i can think of for right now. the interior is in exelent condition for being 50 years old this year but the head liner is sagging and all

the plastic and rubber in the car is shot. the inside is a red and white/creme scheme. the car has a fairly good floor pan but it is rusred thrugh on the drivers foot well and a plate has been welded in place but it also has started to rust thrugh so i will re do the job there is also some other small holes in the rear of the car but the trunk is solid. there is however bondo on bolth rear quarter panels so i dont know what i will find when i start digging. i also

dropped the oil pan and found an inch of scum residue and a clogged up oil pump screen witch i carfuly removed by un crimping the metal arround it and removeing it. i cleaned it all up and re painted the pan a red /orange color with dupla color heat restant pant with ceramic i did the same to the flywheel guard and the tranny pan. i also got new cork gaskets for the pans but dident know any better and over tightened the bolts so they still leak. also the rear main seal leaks and the tranny seals leak. this brings me up to date as of about last week. this week i pulled the tranny and cleaned all the carbon/ crude coal off of it and it looks great ialso pulled the rear axle rhat also could fuel a locomotove. right now they are sitting on my work bench. earlyar this afternoon i called some of the het club members with questions

and lue cote told me to write a parts request on this page. he can get me all

i need for my tranny i think but i had some other questions about brake drums i heard a rumor that some late ford could have drums that could work on a hudson and that you could still buy them new. is this true? has any one

heard of anything like that? also when i pulled the rear axle last night i found one of the cylinders leaking.when i rebult them they were frozen solod and i really had to pound on them to get the pistons free. and then when i honed them out they still had pits in them and i had to re use the old pistons but napa had all the seals, springs and shoes. they eaven had my master cylinder on the shelf although that part is also common in fords and studebakers and who knows what else. it even is still being used today in some new camping trailers. well i can get my old cylenders sleved with stainless or try to find some n.o.s or there is a crossover i think. does anyone know? the engine also has blowby so the whole powertrain needs to be rebult and gone through as well as the steering system steering box tie rod berrings , king pins and all the greese fitting joints. as well as shocks, suspension and all brake fuel and exaust tubes need to be replaced I NEED HELP. in the five years ive had this car it has barley left the garage and olny once under its own power. it is time to get it on the road. i havent yet checked napa for seals and such for the steering and suspension but i will try to get as much as i can through them but if any one can help me out, thanks. this is my dream! also i would like to find twin h, a continental kit, an aluminum head, a clock, window gutters, the missing pice were the heater hoses for the heater go thrugh the fire wall under the passenger side foot well. the tubes are stopped off but the heater core and blower motor are there . there is a cable comeing from the controll knob that dosent go any where. there is also a pice of stainless trim on the bottom edge of the car on the drivers side that has a machine screw threw it to hold it in place ouch. any leads? also there is another pice on the inside rear left door that is folded over.

thanks

Eric Mcarthur

Comments

• TOM-WA-
    TOM-WA- Senior Contributor
    Eric:

For starters I might suggest that you log into the Internet in the evenings and Join in the Hudson Chat Forum at: http://www.classiccar.com/hudson_chats.htm.

There you will get lots of assistance with your questions...

If that's not possible please feel free to contact me at: TOMBAR46@MSN.com

I am a member of both the Local Hudson Club and also a National Member and I also live in the Seattle Area..

Good Luck..

Tom Barrett
This discussion has been closed.