47 Commodore 12 volt conversion

I will soon be re-wiring my car to 12 V, does anybody have any ideas on how to get to the transmission overdrive magnetic coil (solenoid) to work on 12 v
I checked out the small unit called the runtz from Speedway motors but I don’t think it can carry the current necessary to operate the coils. I’m open to ideas, and any products that may work for me

Comments

• When I converted my 46 to 12 volts I swapped out the 6 volt overdrive solenoid with a 12 volt solenoid from a mid 50’s Ford. I run mine with a single wire with a toggle switch with an inline fuse.
  • Hudspeth69
    Hudspeth69 Member
    edited February 2022
    Interesting, same bolt pattern on the unit, Same length on the shaft
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    The picture is of a pdf found on my website 
  • The solenoids seem to all look the same. Most all of the overdrives were made by Borg Warner no matter what make vehicle they are in. The outer case is sometimes different. There is a short shaft and a long shaft. With a battery and a couple of jumper wires you can check them on the bench.
  • Hudspeth69
    Hudspeth69 Member
    edited February 2022
    I did check the solenoid with a 12 V source quickly, the solenoid seems to work but I am having difficulty finding a 12 V unit because the shaft length on my solenoid is 1 7/8” whereas most shaft links are around 1 1/4