distributor for 212ci straight six side valve engine

I've managed to acquire a replacement engine for my 1938 Hudson 112, taken from a 1947 Hudson truck.  The distributor on my old engine was at the side of the block.  The new engine's distributor fits at the end of the block, vertically.  But I don't have the distributor with the new engine.  Has anyone got one for sale, please?

Comments

• John check your email
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    edited February 2022
    ALSO - You'll probably need to modify the firewall for that distributor to 'fit', as the distributor on the '47 212cu in engine is at the back of the engine, while the '38 is on the side of the engine.
    Not what most would consider significant, however you will need to make sure the firewall modification is large enough so it will accommodate the distributor wires without any interference or grounding, so you can work-on the distributor and adjust timing easily, so you can take-off the distributor cap, and maybe even remove the entire distributor (all without removal of the engine).
    **Try not to 'go caveman' with a BFH** - LOL!
    Another 'overlooked' critical point - Should you modify the firewall, there will most likely be interference from under the dash, that of air ducts and/or vacuum windshield wiper system, etc..
  • The same thing happened to me years ago. I rebuilt a 1947 212 being told that it would "bolt in" to my '39. I actually had the block bored and babbited before realizing that you have to cut the firewall or move the engine forward and thus moving the motor mounts forward? 
    This is a whole different kettle of fish. Believe me it is easier to get a -> 1939 block and rebuild that. Everything will trans spose from the '47 block except for the cam and dist.!  
    I now have a rebuilt 1947 block bored and babbited to sell.
    Ivan L.