WTB: Front roof trim piece for 1934 Hudson

Looking for a replacement roof trim piece for the front that is for the fabric roof top insert. Mine is rusted and would like one in better shape. I know someone said “bent metal” may be able to reproduce it and I’ll reach out to them as well but I wanted to put it out there in case someone had one or knew where I could get one as it’ll be holding me back from driving! 

Here is a picture of my original one:

Comments

• Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    I think someone mentioned earlier that you can buy this stuff in the US and bend it to shape.
  • I think someone mentioned earlier that you can buy this stuff in the US and bend it to shape.
    Is this what you mean? Idk if it’s exactly the same shape I can’t tell, says it’s 6 ft. I may call them and see I just don’t know how I would go about bending that to look right. Perhaps someone with machinery in town could assist since I have original. 
  • I went ahead and sent them an email, I noticed their website says there’s a “molding” that snaps in as well. BOY would that be nice if it would work and be flush with the roof. I asked if they had more pictures and if they feel it could be bent to fit. If so, I’ll prolly buy enough to do entire top, have it bent to originals since I have them, and install. Major plus if I can also use a molding to snap in and save a headache on the mess I KNOW I will make with silicone on top to smooth lol. 
  • dholck
    dholck Expert Adviser
    Have you looked at stuff for 1930s Fords?  ...or is that what you have pictured above?  Probably not going to be anything shaped like you want, but bendable stuff.  
    https://www.macsautoparts.com/1932-ford-closed-car-roof-tack-strip-set-32-374341-1.html

https://www.macsautoparts.com/roof-edge-seal-kit-rubber-top-deck-retainer-ford-sedan-32-14949-1.html

A shop that works on 30s Fords could have the material and be able to form it for you.
  • dholck said:
    Have you looked at stuff for 1930s Fords?  ...or is that what you have pictured above?  Probably not going to be anything shaped like you want, but bendable stuff.  
    https://www.macsautoparts.com/1932-ford-closed-car-roof-tack-strip-set-32-374341-1.html

https://www.macsautoparts.com/roof-edge-seal-kit-rubber-top-deck-retainer-ford-sedan-32-14949-1.html

A shop that works on 30s Fords could have the material and be able to form it for you.
    Whoa $176 bucks for 2 sections? That one I posted was only $20! Lol unfortunately SW Louisiana has no one that’s good at anything it seems haha but I was gonna go Monday to some metal shops to see if anyone could help me.
  • Old Fogey UK
    I went ahead and sent them an email, I noticed their website says there’s a “molding” that snaps in as well. BOY would that be nice if it would work and be flush with the roof. I asked if they had more pictures and if they feel it could be bent to fit. If so, I’ll prolly buy enough to do entire top, have it bent to originals since I have them, and install. Major plus if I can also use a molding to snap in and save a headache on the mess I KNOW I will make with silicone on top to smooth lol. 
    It's not that hard to make the silicone smooth.  You don't need a special tool - Just use a wet finger on it as you go along the groove.
    Your finger will be as sore as hell afterwards but it does the job - look at those pics I sent you, they prove a finger works.
    When you've finished, carefully clean off any smears on the paintwork with turpentine substitute.
  • I went ahead and sent them an email, I noticed their website says there’s a “molding” that snaps in as well. BOY would that be nice if it would work and be flush with the roof. I asked if they had more pictures and if they feel it could be bent to fit. If so, I’ll prolly buy enough to do entire top, have it bent to originals since I have them, and install. Major plus if I can also use a molding to snap in and save a headache on the mess I KNOW I will make with silicone on top to smooth lol. 
    It's not that hard to make the silicone smooth.  You don't need a special tool - Just use a wet finger on it as you go along the groove.
    Your finger will be as sore as hell afterwards but it does the job - look at those pics I sent you, they prove a finger works.
    When you've finished, carefully clean off any smears on the paintwork with turpentine substitute.
    Thanks Fogey! My problem right now is the trim. I reached out to Bent Metal and sent him an email as well. Also reached out to some fab shops in town; they don’t respond 😂 now I did order a 6 ft section of the ford trim from Ecklers. $15…figured I’ve spent $15 on worse things lol. It measures same width, and if used upside down than what you would on a Ford I think it’ll work. I’ll just have to get it bent to match I guess
  • Old Fogey UK
    I went ahead and sent them an email, I noticed their website says there’s a “molding” that snaps in as well. BOY would that be nice if it would work and be flush with the roof. I asked if they had more pictures and if they feel it could be bent to fit. If so, I’ll prolly buy enough to do entire top, have it bent to originals since I have them, and install. Major plus if I can also use a molding to snap in and save a headache on the mess I KNOW I will make with silicone on top to smooth lol. 
    Thanks Fogey! My problem right now is the trim. I reached out to Bent Metal and sent him an email as well. Also reached out to some fab shops in town; they don’t respond 😂 now I did order a 6 ft section of the ford trim from Ecklers. $15…figured I’ve spent $15 on worse things lol. It measures same width, and if used upside down than what you would on a Ford I think it’ll work. I’ll just have to get it bent to match I guess
    Sometimes you just have to compromise a little bit on total originality and use the next best thing if the correct part isn't available. It's not as though you're going to notice that it's Ford channeling unless you're about 7 feet tall and looking down on the roof from 6 inches away ! 😄😄😄
  • Old Fogey UK
    Sometimes you just have to compromise a little bit on total originality and use the next best thing if the correct part isn't available. It's not as though you're going to notice that it's Ford channeling unless you're about 7 feet tall and looking down on the roof from 6 inches away ! 😄😄😄
    I'm 5 feet 8, so it's not a problem I have !
  • Yeah but I just need to make sure it can be bent right. With the sealant on top I don’t think it will matter anyways, but if it’s a big difference I’ll just have to do the entire top with that just so it matches. I reached out to bent metal on forum and email and still haven’t got a reply. So I’m still looking until this piece gets in. Hopefully a fab shop in town will be able to bend it properly.