34 Terraplane top speed

2»

Comments

• lostmind
    lostmind Expert Adviser
    Odd , did you check vacuum with gauge at 35 mph?
    You might have a restricted exhaust, or maybe a burned through intake.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Ignition timing, valve timing, fuel starvation, poor spark.  you need to go through the whole gamut.  How did he "block" the heat riser?
  • dhutzn
    dhutzn Member
    He made a cover out of 1/4" steel and a cork gasket and blocked the area facing the carb
  • eddiehudson
    eddiehudson Senior Contributor, Member
    This might be a stupid question, but did you adjust the brakes?
  • dhutzn
    dhutzn Member
    Yes the brakes have new cables and are adjusted but thank you for inquiring.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    Back to the heat riser, I take it that the stuck butterfly and shaft and lid were removed and the resultant opening on top of the inlet manifold was blanked off?
    There is a hole in the underside of the inlet manifold to locate the lower end of the butterfly shaft, make sure that hole was also blanked off.
  • dhutzn
    dhutzn Member
    Thank you Bob. I will check that tomorrow and get back to you.
  • tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    Are you sure it’s not too warm for a cork gasket?
    regards, Tom 
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    Toddh said:
    My cable brakes are as good as the juice brakes on my later Hudsons. If they have the correct brake lining material, are correctly installed and adjusted and the cables and conduits are adjusted and lubed correctly they work superb. 
    Properly adjusted cable brakes are OK until you need to do an emergency stop - after that they need setting up again.
    My '34 Eight cruises nicely at about 50 mph but only when I can leave a large gap between me and the car in front !
  • dhutzn
    dhutzn Member
    I was wrong about the cork gasket. It was some sort of fiber but still scorched. I put the plate back on awaiting a rebuild kit.

Here is an update on my direction regarding my 1934 Terraplane KU! I am taking all of the feedback and  recommendations I have received on the HET  Forum to a new mechanic recommended by a fellow club member. I will be delivering the car in October and will report back on the Forum with anticipated success. Thank you all!!!!