Center of hood hinge point

BigSky
BigSky Senior Contributor

In need of some help here... I was working towards getting my 37 coupe's hood attached & found one side doesn't have the "S" shaped piece that the center of hood stainless trim interlocks with to hold the two halves together. After further examination it looks like these pieces were spot welded onto the hood. So would anyone have this piece?

Below is a picture head on of the piece I’m missing from the other side of the hood.  These interlock with the center of hood stainless piece. Thanks!!

Comments

• bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    See what is available in the Model A world.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    Mack truck.
  • Old Fogey UK
    Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
    If you're using the Mack truck hinge, you need to open it up a bit on both sides or you'll gouge your paintwork.
  • BigSky
    Can you describe “opening up” the Mack truck center stainless because that is what I have & planned on using unless there is better?
  • Old Fogey UK
    There's a thread somewhere on the HET website that describes how to do this.
    From memory, it involves tapping a suitable diameter steel rod down both sides of the hinge strip and using a lot of lubricant during assembly.
    I didn't know that and scraped a lot of paint off getting it on.
  • BigSky
    edited June 2023
    I recall something similar, maybe a steel wedge was made & run down the inside of the trim piece.  I looked through all my saved links but nothing was found.  I’m not having luck with a search either.  Maybe the individual will see this & show it again!
  • Old Fogey UK
    It's definitely on the website somewhere.
    Maybe Paul Butler or Jon B can help you find it ?