Stepdown Rear Panel Shelf

Hi Folks:
Just getting around to some of the  finer points of redoing my recent purchase of a 52 Super Wasp.  My package shelf in the car  "now" --  consists of 2 large pieces of white paper wrapped around a cardboard box cut out.  
Despite my growing up with these cars, my memory doesn't seem to recall what the shelves were originally made from and
what they were covered with.  I'm presuming something like 1/4" plywood or wallboard as a base--as for what it was covered with???????  I can remember what we did with them in High school but not how they were originally.
Should whatever be done to the package shelf while the rear window is out for headliner or can it be done afterwords?.

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated
Thanks Todd

Comments

• Had mine out last year cannot remember what was made from but definitely not plywood. Was covered with vinyl same as on the bottom of door trims.
  • Toddh
    Toddh Member
    It’s door board.  You can buy it from Restoration Specialties in Windber, PA and cut it to your dimensions
  • ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser
    I cut mine out of a 4x8 sheet of 1/8" FRP from local lumber yard and upholstered in the same vinyl as the door trims.