Wanted........ photos of Power Steering Hoses for your 54 Hudson Hornet

My motor and Borg Warner tranny are being overhauled and the shop is ready to install all. They ran into a problem with the two power steering hoses that are cracked. I took them to one of the hose shops in our area and they can make the end couplings of the hose, but the metal clamp pieces in the middle of both hoses are not available. We originally believed that these clamps were restrictors for the power steering fluid, but a knowledgeable friend believes they were located in the center of the hoses to prevent them from “flopping” around. I’ve checked all the parts suppliers and rebuilders found on Ken Cates' Hudson Stepdown Restoration Resources website but these hoses are not available. I took these old ones to another hose shop and was told that those most likely were restrictors…. YIKES.

If you have a 54 Hudson Hornet, I would appreciate if you could look under the hood let me know if your car has these middle clamps on your power steering hoses. And if you have had new ones made, please l’d love to know your hose shop. Please post photos of your hoses if you have had them made.  Many thanks!

Comments

• BigSky
    BigSky Senior Contributor
    edited June 2023
    I can’t tell ya much as my Hudson came to me with these hoses already set up as you see them.  I’d prefer if the hoses were together similar to your sketch picture.
    Hope the picture helps some…

• StepUp
    StepUp Member
    Can’t help but ask —is the head above fastened down using studs and wheel lug nuts? Unusual but cool…
  • Glowplug
    Glowplug Expert Adviser
    BigSky... good picture... enough pixels to blow it up and see there are NO centralized metal bands on your hoses.  My guess is you are using ARP Socket studs with their cap nuts.    Thanks for posting