1934 Hudson Rear Spring Shackles

Old Fogey UK
Old Fogey UK Expert Adviser
Please may I ask for some help/advice ?
The left side rear of my car has become a bit droopy and checking underneath, the back end of the left rear spring is closer to the frame than the one on the right rear.
Does this suggest a bad rear spring shackle and/or shackle bushing ?
The spring itself looks OK and so does the front mounting.
Are these shackles/bushings interchangeable with other years or other makes ?
Is there easily obtainable modern equivalents I can use ? 

Comments

• tigermoth
    tigermoth Expert Adviser
    You may need new shackles, but you may also need to have the springs re arched. They have been holding up the side of the car for 90 years.
    regards, Tom 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYWfYyYQ2kA

i was able to find on line NOS shackles a few years ago.
  • 46HudsonPU
    46HudsonPU Administrator
    You may want to take & post pictures of the rear suspension (multiple, different angles, left & right), to give us a better idea of the issue.
    - Is there anything that makes you believe it is a worn bushing / shackles, rather than metal fatigue/failure of the leaf springs?
    - Did you do an inspection of the frame mounting points of the bushings / shackles? Significant wearing of the frame mounting points might cause the sagging as well;
  • Old Fogey UK
     I can't see any breaks or misalignment in the leaf spring and both mountings look OK.
    I'll take some pics and I'll post them here.
    I've found out that I can get shackle kits from the Railton Owners Club, so I hope that's it's just the shackle as nobody does spring repair around here.
  • Old Fogey UK
    I'm attaching an unpriced copy of the ROC parts list to show how comprehensive it is.
    I'm glad that I'm a member !
    It's in the public section of the ROC website, so I'm not revealing any secrets !
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    I doubt very much that the shackle will alter the arch set of the spring.   You can reset it yourself, but it takes time and patience.   Involves removing both springs and comparing the arch.   Draw a line in chalk on the concrete  from the top surface of the spring, and if there is a variation you have to  reset the low side.   Involves completely dismantling the spring assembly, and laying each leaf along the  arc  of the chalk line.   A press is the best way, but a large hammer  will  work as well.   If using a press work the  spring leaf through the  press,  and put pressure along  the top of the leaf until it conforms to the line.   Do this with each leaf, a bit at a time.   don't try and do it all in  one shot, or you will break the leaf.     If using the more brutal method,  lay the leaf between two  large  steel anvils, or a large vise, and  beat the living tripe out of it whilst moving progressively along.    When  all  leaves correspond to the chalk line you are done - literally, as your arm and wrist will be so done!  Sounds brutal, but it works.
  • Old Fogey UK
    I'm not going to try that myself, Geoff - knowing my lack of luck and skill, it'd end up being like one of those "Recipe For Disaster" Gary Larsen cartoons !
    I'm going to try a new shackle/bush first of all.
    This is an easier job for an idiot like me and if it turns out the spring itself is actually the culprit, then I'm going to need to replace the shackle in any event - so nothing will be lost.
    I've now found a spring shop that is less than 10 miles from my mother-in-law's home and we visit her about 6 times a year, so it won't be a big deal delivering and collecting the spring. 
    The car's only a bit droopy, so I'll do the job when the Summer is over and I won't want to use the car in too much of a hurry.
  • Old Fogey UK
    It looks like I may have to get the spring re-arched.
    Does anyone know where I can information on the correct depth of spring arch ?
    It's not in the mechanical procedure manual and the only information I can have is for Railton rear springs which may have been set lower than the standard Hudson springs.
    The spring shop claims to have spring specs for almost any car built in the last 90 years but sadly that doesn't include Hudsons.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    What is the exact model of your car, I have all the specs. 
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    David???
  • Old Fogey UK
    I've private messaged you, Geoff.